• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Machine Shops?

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Does anyone have a good shop that they recommend for engine work, namely boring and decking engines? I’m trying to find one somewhere in the bay area that is good.
Stroking a 4.0 .060 over. How much would that usually cost?

Try:
Kaeding Performance
813 Cristich Ln.
Campbell, CA 95008
(408) 371-3031

They rebuilt my 4.2L in my CJ and did an awesome job. The owner will work with you, which was important to me when I had alot of my own parts for the engine already (different cam, lifters, etc). That was a few years back, so I'm not sure if they are still doing engine work. They specialize in sprint cars.

E

hoping crash signs in here. 4.0's seem to have pretty thin water jackets and .030 would be the most I would go based on everything I have read over the year. Has your engine already been rebuilt? damage to the cylinder walls?

SeanP

Thin walls? Depends on the year of the casting.

AMC designed the 4.0 as a ROCK SOLID casting, and it's possible to take it to 4.000" bore(+.125" oversize!), if you check the wall thickness first. That's still leaving a minimum of .100" of cylinder wall all around - plenty safe margin.

Then Chrysler got involved, and made NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) revisions. They also lightened the casting significantly - and the cylinder walls were the first to lose material. They forgot that the XJ is more "truck" than "car," and damn sure isn't a "luxury car." If you want smooth, buy a Cadillac or a Lincoln.

There's no reason at all you can't bore the block out to +.060", but I'd get it ultrasonically checked before you go any farther. .060" is generally accepted as the "standard" maximum oversize when boring.

5-90

Capt. Nemo, Ill give them a call. Thanks.
5-90, do you know of any shops in SJ or close by there?

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost? Thanks

I've used Joe's Engine Shop in Concord for some head work(off of Monument near the skate park/police station area). They seem like they know what they are doing and got the work done pretty fast. Also check out Contra Costa Machine, we use those guys at the dealership, and most of the repar shops in the area use them too.

Back