• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radiator woes....

Get in touch with Dirk over at DPG for a metal one.

Thanks guys!

How would I verify the combustion gasses check? Wouldnt that signal a blown head gasket? I dont have oil in my coolent or vise versa, and there isnt a steamy coolent coming from my exhaust...

I think mine may be due to some nasty coolent, combined with a lack of airflow at low speeds do to an electric fan not working. Just simple overheating... One would think a radiator cap would let off the pressure before the damn tank blows off the side though!!!

Check to ensure you are running the correct pressure radiator cap.

The aux. fan isn't supposed to come on under normal driving conditions, be it highway or city driving. When the engine and cooling systems are operating correctly, that fan should only come on when pulling a large mountain pass or when towing (working the engine hard) and when the A/C is on as a matter of factory required temp circuit bypass when turning on the A/C.

Check the blend of the coolant you're using. If you're not using the 50/50 pre-mix and mixing it yourself, you may be running too much antifreeze. Too much antifreeze keeps heat dissapation down. Engines run notably cooler with a higher water content mix.

Replaced the radiator and cap today. had a nice 4" crack down the side of the passenger side tank just under the hose.

Troy, fan is working fine now... My dumbass forgot to check the fuse when i put the new one in.... :anon:

I was actually out taking my mom for a nice scenic drive on Dakan Rd for her birthday and kept pulling over for idiots on quads and dirtbikes who automatically assume they have the right of way. A TON of stop/go at low speeds... combined with a lack of airflow was just a bad all around combo I'm thinking... It started to get warm and I pulled off the side and shut it off before it overheated and within 10 seconds of killing the motor the tank blew out...

I'm going to chalk this one up to just plain not being prepared and inspecting my jeep before going out. :twak:

You should probably check the mechanical fan and make sure it's hard to turn when it's hot. It's supposed to stiffen up and push more air through the radiator when hot.

Cheap fix: Remove the fan and smash the front of the thermostatic housing with a hammer - not the center where the bi-metal coil is, but all around the center, dimple it in real good - makes it so it can't spin on the shaft and always pushes max amount of air. :thumbup:

If you want a good replacement t-static housing/fan....... I know a guy that keeps a few good used ones around....... :shhh:

You should probably check the mechanical fan and make sure it's hard to turn when it's hot. It's supposed to stiffen up and push more air through the radiator when hot.

Cheap fix: Remove the fan and smash the front of the thermostatic housing with a hammer - not the center where the bi-metal coil is, but all around the center, dimple it in real good - makes it so it can't spin on the shaft and always pushes max amount of air. :thumbup:

If you want a good replacement t-static housing/fan....... I know a guy that keeps a few good used ones around....... :shhh:

I will check into how it is spinning when I pull into the office in the morning as soon as I shut her down! Thanks!

Back