• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix No crank, no start

Lawsonmahoney

NAXJA Forum User
I have a ‘88 4.0 auto.

Went wheeling in my XJ a few months back. Got stuck in a big mud puddle. Eventually got out and drove home. No issues. I washed it down and parked it until now. Went to start it, no crank. Got a new battery, replaced the starter relay, nothing.

Tested the starter by touching the terminals on the solenoid and it started, but can’t get the damn thing to start with the key.

When I turn the key there’s absolutely no click, and no reaction from the engine. The fuel pump primes. The radio and dash lights turn on. The reverse lights turn on in reverse. Won’t start in neutral so I’ve ruled out NSS.

So I used my multimeter on the starter relay. I get 12 volts from the negative wire on the starter relay when I turn the key, so I know I’m getting power TO the relay, but it won’t engage the starter. I cleaned the line that runs from the relay to the starter and cleaned all the terminal lines at the starter.

Does anyone have any ideas? I’m at a damn loss. Is there a fuse I’m missing? And the starter test I did is sufficient, right? If the starter works when you manually join the terminals on the solenoid, then it’s good?

There is a way to 'jump' the NSS. Might need to google it. I have done this with one of my '98 XJs. There is the plug up by the trans dipstick.

Also, the NSS can be rebuilt. I have done two of them. It is not hard. The hard part is getting it off the trans. Basically, take it apart. Clean out the oil lithium grease. Take a pencil eraser and clean off the oxidation of the connector. Watch the small springs. Regrease, lithium grease or dielectric grease. Reassemble. Rock Auto show 87-95 are the same NSS. I could not find the diagram to plug picture to show the pin out to jump for a 95.

Back