• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are these bolts named?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to find some of these bolts w/the tip of the bolt is not threaded and smaller than the threads... so it's easy to get these bolts started and not crossthread when installing?

I'm not sure what they're called?? Here's a link showing what I'm looking for:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/omix-ad...KAX8DsSJDeYCXeEVm3BXaRnWLGjwX21BoCkMcQAvD_BwE

I know it's a Hex Bolt head... but wanted to know if there's a 'name' for the tapered tip?

Trying to find some new 5/16 x 18 x ~ 1" bolt for my rear differential cover. Need some that are a bit longer than OE and HATE the allen key bolts I'm currently using and want to replace them. Thanks.

I've always refer to them as fender or body bolts.

That is a flanged hex head cap screw, or sometimes flange head bolt. The back of the flanged head is sometimes serrated.

Rather than search all over for a specific profile and very specific length, I would buy bolts that are a bit long, and cut/grind them to the correct length and profile. If you know somebody with a metal lathe it will be a simple and fast job. They are just diff cover bolts, so whatever will fit, will work.

Great resource of knowledge here!! Thanks all... appreciate the input. I'd rather just buy the right bolt as apposed to cutting/grinding as that's a lot of extra work for me. :)

I also called them body bolts.
I think the un-threaded tip is a thread starter to prevent cross threading in a fast paced factory assembly line environment by aligning the bolt's threads with the hole threads especially for flimsy parts like fenders which don't always line up perfectly with threaded holes.

Oop,s I just got home from a week at Nascar and posted to the wrong thread......

Ive heard them called pilot point bolts as well

Back