NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 18th, 2019, 07:39
NAXJA Member

Re: How Much is my XJ worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
Go to KBB.com and enter the XJ info. Total up the retail price of all the add-on parts, subtract any and all install costs, and divide that number by 2.

Add the KKB price plus the 1/2 of parts prices and be willing to negotiate downwards.
Hmmm. With that formula. I did not price in all the engine compartment replacement parts/sensor's in the last 4 years. Only original left is the A/C system, brake booster and throttle body itself. I added up just the main hard part's. $8400. Without labor or tax. Plus. I'm going to put new 33's($800) on it next weekend. Needed because of the 4.56 gears. KBB list my cherokee with 24000K(rebuilt engine, no miles on gears or 231J) at about $4000. Hmmmm. So, $8200?? Nahhh i'm not gonna start with that. I would like to sell it to a member before putting it on Autotrader.

Last edited by 01classicxj; May 18th, 2019 at 07:50.
Old May 18th, 2019, 09:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog0 View Post
You can get personal loans for whatever you want. Some people also have the pockets deep enough to simply pay cash.
But they're all mall crawlers with cheap parts and workmanship. They're 42K stage six build is a joke. No Jeep guy would ever consider it!
Old May 18th, 2019, 17:38
NAXJA Member

No matter what you think it’s only worth what you can get somebody to pay for it — being too high priced and stubborn only hurts the seller — trust me, I know
Old May 26th, 2019, 17:16
NAXJA Forum User

XJ's are a hobby vehicle....not an investment. We do it because we love it.
That's part of the price we pay.

As far as borrowing on IRA's....don't ever do it.
You pay your tax rate(20-25% depending on your income) on the money you pull out and pay fees on top of that.....unless you are older that 59.5yrs old.

Hobbies are called hobbies for a reason....they are payed for with extra cash.
Cash being the key word.

Happy Memorial Day to all.
Be safe and enjoy those XJ's!!!
Old May 28th, 2019, 08:01
NAXJA Member

interesting. there's a flooded out 99 close to me. with the water mark about 2" below the roof for sale for $800. Hasn't sold for that number (not it's value) but that's where it's currently listed.
Old June 5th, 2019, 19:00
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_7_6 View Post
XJ's are a hobby vehicle....not an investment. We do it because we love it.
That's part of the price we pay.

As far as borrowing on IRA's....don't ever do it.
You pay your tax rate(20-25% depending on your income) on the money you pull out and pay fees on top of that.....unless you are older that 59.5yrs old.

Hobbies are called hobbies for a reason....they are payed for with extra cash.
Cash being the key word.

Happy Memorial Day to all.
Be safe and enjoy those XJ's!!!
I guess some IRA's are different. There is no tax rate i pay. I borrowed from it. It's like a personal loan to myself with a low 4.5% interest rate that i pay to myself. Something My job and Vanguard has setup. My job has rules of course set up. I can borrow up to half only of the total in the account. Cannot get a new loan until i pay off existing loan. Can pay off early if i want. Something else i can also do. I can take a withdrawal only once per calendar year. If i wanted to do that instead. If i do that, yes, Vanguard takes 20% off the top and sends me a 1099 form. Then i have to also pay the 10% penalty when i do my income tax. Would do that only in emergency's. The loan's though work out for me.
Old June 9th, 2019, 09:55
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01classicxj View Post
I guess some IRA's are different. There is no tax rate i pay. I borrowed from it. It's like a personal loan to myself with a low 4.5% interest rate that i pay to myself. Something My job and Vanguard has setup. My job has rules of course set up. I can borrow up to half only of the total in the account. Cannot get a new loan until i pay off existing loan. Can pay off early if i want. Something else i can also do. I can take a withdrawal only once per calendar year. If i wanted to do that instead. If i do that, yes, Vanguard takes 20% off the top and sends me a 1099 form. Then i have to also pay the 10% penalty when i do my income tax. Would do that only in emergency's. The loan's though work out for me.
You're borrowing from 401k. Not an IRA.... it's one way to do it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old June 12th, 2019, 18:46
NAXJA Forum User

My bad....I didn't include a big stipulation. You would be dinged the tax and fees if you left your job(voluntarily or fired) if loan is not paid back in a certain period of time(not sure what that time period is).

Still not a good idea to borrow....the ira's in your 401k plan should be making 10-12% interest, along with compound interest over time. That's a lot of $$ lost...even after the 4.5% you are making(off yourself).

Sorry guys...not trying to preach. I have dove into this stuff the last few years. I just want people to succeed. At 48 yrs old, all I can do is suggest things based on what I have learned. Some learning due to my mistakes! Hee hee.

So...what's my xj worth? Bought for $3600 3yrs ago. new tires, alignment, every gasket/seal replaced. new exhaust(header, flowmaster, borla). led hdlts, lt bar, head unit, spkrs. just redid whole coolant system. optima battery. large bore throttle body. Probably be lucky to get $4500 in this market. Gonna replace skycrapper springs and shocks real soon.
Old June 13th, 2019, 18:35
NAXJA Forum User

How Much is my XJ worth?

Something to keep in mind with these 401k loans, the money youíre paying 4.5% interest on could have been earning 10%+ if left alone.
Old June 13th, 2019, 18:36
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Or losing 10%.
Old June 14th, 2019, 06:23
NAXJA Forum User

How Much is my XJ worth?

Depending on the condition of the interior, $3k max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 19th, 2019, 07:42
NAXJA Forum User

Where I live in So Cal, they average about $5k. If the aftermarket parts are installed correct and quality, maintenance is up to date and the jeep is clean, and if someone wants what you have.
Old June 20th, 2019, 09:46
NAXJA Forum User

Itís only worth something to you. Keep it.