• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone replaced xj 4dr dd with commander?

101gargoyles

NAXJA Forum User
Our 95 XJ is coming up to 400k kms./240k mi and is one of our dd's but with 4" RE lift for dog sports (herding/agility/etc).
Willing to keep it around because it just won't die by itself.
Thinking of picking up a new 4.7l Sport S group as replacement daily drive.
Don't want a higher trim package with 3 dog crates and associated tents/ cargo required for training and trials. Before you ask yes...it's often...look at the mileage and the driver works only 15 minutes from home.
Question is-can the Commander live up to being a replacement for a hard working vehicle after the rear row(s) of seats are removed?

I wouldn't go new and lose your ass on depreciation, but I'm thinking the same thing. I'm XJ'less and with a new baby, 9 mos. Not ready yet, but a nice 06 or 07 might be in line for us this year.
I haven't read up on it's 4x4 system though. I think there are few on here that have one.

Personally I would not buy any Jeep product at this point, except for maybe the JK. If it were me going for what you're looking for I would get a GMC Yukon XL. My dad has a 2000 model. At almost 9 years old, it has had zero problems, besides changing the occasional bulb in the taillight or headlight. It is just now at 170k and starting to leak a little oil. With the the third row of seats out in this thing the cargo room is massive. I loaded the thing down with enough camping gear for 5 people for 4-5 days and still had some room for other stuff. Plus, you just can't go wrong with the GM 5.3 V8. It's a powerhouse and I would compare its bulletproofness and longevity to that of the 4.0

I own the 4.7l commander. I love it but it has depreciated some since I bought it due to its porr gas mileage. It seats seven so that is what I wanted it for. If you want to know more PM me with ??? cause i rarely come in the off/topic section.

JeepCommander.jpg

I finally talked the wife out of Volkswagens and got her into a Jeep Commander. The only HUGE gripe that we have with it is the lack of room in the back with the seats down. For a vehicle that size, a person would think that it would have adequate storage space, but because the way the seats are built into the floor, (kind of), when they fold down they take up alot of space putting everything closer to the roof. Other than that, we get around 24 mpg on a good day and love every minute driving it.

I finally talked the wife out of Volkswagens and got her into a Jeep Commander. The only HUGE gripe that we have with it is the lack of room in the back with the seats down. For a vehicle that size, a person would think that it would have adequate storage space, but because the way the seats are built into the floor, (kind of), when they fold down they take up alot of space putting everything closer to the roof. Other than that, we get around 24 mpg on a good day and love every minute driving it.

That seems to be a problem with many new models but with the more verticle sides and tailgate of the commander we're hoping to gain at least a little better usable storage than the XJ.
As with our 07 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited the rear row of seats will be the first parts removed and stored away.
Does anyone know if it's possible to remove all but 3 seats?
The Wrangler 2nd row is 2 + 1 configuration but both sides need to be in to bolt up to the floor pan without modification.

If you can find a lot that still has '08 models left I would give them a shot. They can't move those things to save their lives and will knock the price down like crazy.
My wife recently bought a '08 Grand, fully load w/ Hemi for $27K, sticker was $44K.
The Commanders are moving even slower than Grands so you might really be able to get a better deal.

If you can find a lot that still has '08 models left I would give them a shot. They can't move those things to save their lives and will knock the price down like crazy.
My wife recently bought a '08 Grand, fully load w/ Hemi for $27K, sticker was $44K.
The Commanders are moving even slower than Grands so you might really be able to get a better deal.

Yah I hear what you're saying.
Don't want to miss out on the current market but end up with less useable space than the XJ. Can't really take a full travel load to the stealership to see how it all fits in. eg height/width/length.
We do sporting dog trials all over N.A. but haven't run across anyone using these machines except for driving the kids 2 blocks to school or crawling through the mall parking lot.:(

We still have a brand new 2007 Commander at our dealership. These things are S-L-O-W to move:tear:

I would be avoiding it till the mergers are settled.

If I didn't just buy a new ATV then I'd be all over a commander. I'm thinking about selling it, but i know i won't get crap for it even if it is an 08 with 50 miles on it.

I know this isn't what you asked but do you need a 4x4 for your trips to these events? If not why not consider, dare i say it, a minivan. We have a Toyota Sienna and with the middle row of seats removed and the 3rd row stowed that thing is a cave. Plus I can get 27+ MPG if I drive smart now that it's broken in. It also does an acceptable job in the snow and they do sell an AWD version. Have you looked at the Dodge Durango? It's a midsize with some room in the back.
Anyways, good luck on your vehicle search.

I know this isn't what you asked but do you need a 4x4 for your trips to these events? If not why not consider, dare i say it, a minivan. We have a Toyota Sienna and with the middle row of seats removed and the 3rd row stowed that thing is a cave. Plus I can get 27+ MPG if I drive smart now that it's broken in. It also does an acceptable job in the snow and they do sell an AWD version. Have you looked at the Dodge Durango? It's a midsize with some room in the back.
Anyways, good luck on your vehicle search.

Don't need a 4X4 for the events but we never drive the most direct route to go anywhere except for the daily commute. More than half of the fun of going anywhere even loaded to the gills with equipment, is to stop and explore those roads that say "no exit" or "road closed".
They are the official bait for a true Jeep familly. Remember that any real Jeep has Beauty marks which others will call scratches/damage.
I'd wear off my 2 typing fingers if I were to start describing all the things we've seen and done all around North America (not just crawling around the hometown) which would have been inaccessable where it not for the Jeeps we've owned. Wish my camera hadn't been out of film when after driving miles down a beach coming back from California via Texas via Florida via Cape Hatteras and then came across a 'No Jeeps' sign.
Plus We're both 'on call' and don't have the option to say we can't get to work because of snow.

Back