• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Commander

GrimmJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
the wifes toyota is in the shop for some warranty work. they offer us a rental car for the weekend and wouldnt you know it ends up being a jeep.. go figure :D

anyways, this has got to be the heaviest, underpowered, over priced POS i have ever had the misfortune to drive. other than that, its nice :D my main gripe is the power to weight ratio. this pig can barely get out of its own way. the interior is nice, but seems cheap.. and seriously reminds me of a hummer H2. it rides nice, and seats 7 with 3rd row seating that anyone over the age of 10 would have a problem getting into.

the worst part is my wife parked it next to my XJ last night and said "look its like your jeep has a big brother!" :doh: i wish i still had my stock rims, i'd go swap em for the17s on this jeep haha.

anyone else own or drive one of these things?

Down for a Cleg run this after noon? We can see what it is capaple of.

xtimmax said:
Down for a Cleg run this after noon? We can see what it is capaple of.
haha i would i have the extra insurance on it, but i think its only 2 wheel drive... unless its full time AWD i dunno. if azusa was open i would take it into the mud pit :D

They don't flex too well, either...

Had a Grand Cherokee reserved in Kona last year, and got stuck with the Commander instead. In addition to being underpowered, my other gripe was that the folding 3rd row seat made for a rather high cargo area. It did ride nice, and handle fairly well.

I own one and Love it

I dont know if you got the 3.7V6,4.7V8 or 5.7V8 HEMI. I own the 4.7 and it will get up a move its ass when needed.

The 3rd row leaves alot to be desired if you put someone older back there. My interior looks great I love the 1/4 in fake allen bolt look it has. Mine had industrial detailing on the interior. BUt i love all kinds of fake stuff i also have too wagoneers :doh:.

The Commander is a bug magnet which is horrible. Off road havnt been there yet but ran great on the snow.

Anyway I am sorry you got a poop commander but I really Like mine

JeepCommander.jpg

I wonder what they were trying to replicate when creating it? hmmm :shhh:
It looks an aweful lot like one of Jeeps most popular models ever. I wonder......

If they had put a solid front axle under it and called it by a different name, imagine how many people would be happy.

SFA should be swapable... I wonder if anyone has the cash and a rear-hit Cherokee to lend to the project?

Right now with the warrenty the Commander is a lil to Pricey to modify in that way. I am looking at a 2 in lift for it apparently spacers for all the springs. Still 250 bucks but it is the cheapest lift at the moment and easy to remove if you do need warrenty work.

Good point w/ the warranty. If I had a warranty on my rig I'd be hesitant to modify it that extremely as well... Still though, a WJ axle setup under the Commander would be sharp - four link front & rear, big brakes, lifted, looks like a larger XJ... 5.7 hemi, 33s.... sexy....

yossarian19 said:
Good point w/ the warranty. If I had a warranty on my rig I'd be hesitant to modify it that extremely as well... Still though, a WJ axle setup under the Commander would be sharp - four link front & rear, big brakes, lifted, looks like a larger XJ... 5.7 hemi, 35s.... sexy....

Fixed!!

We looked at getting one a while back and decided against it. The Grand has a roomier back seat and larger cargo area. Don't need 3rd row seats. Needless to say we did not get the Commander or the Grand. Just not that impressed with anything Jeep is building right know other that the JK.

One of our locals has lifted his already and is running some of the stock friendly trails, no rock yet. He has the 4.7 and loves it, its a nice looking rig that can tow or wheel.

243.jpg

lesslimited said:
They don't flex too well, either...

Had a Grand Cherokee reserved in Kona last year, and got stuck with the Commander instead. In addition to being underpowered, my other gripe was that the folding 3rd row seat made for a rather high cargo area. It did ride nice, and handle fairly well.

What, had to get the Commander because they didn't have a Grand Cherokee in Maroon for you and you refuse to drive a vehicle of a different color?

GSequoia said:
What, had to get the Commander because they didn't have a Grand Cherokee in Maroon for you and you refuse to drive a vehicle of a different color?

Yeah, they didn't have green or black either :D

We have an '06 limited with hemi.

If you drove one with the hemi and thought it was underpowered, I don't know how you drive an XJ because it hauls ass.

I didn't buy it to wheel either. It's to haul around my wife and daughter and pull the XJ and it will do both very nicely.

We had a '06 laredo with the 4.7 before this one and really liked it as well.

If only they rented them with the Hemi! Or even the 4.7...

The 4.7 should be the minimum motor for those things, the V6 might be enough for a Liberty.

lesslimited said:
If only they rented them with the Hemi! Or even the 4.7...

The 4.7 should be the minimum motor for those things, the V6 might be enough for a Liberty.

Yeah, that motor is a turd.

I REALLY like the 545RFE also. I like the manual mode. It will stay in any gear you put it in all the way to the rev limiter until you shift. I also love the quadradrive II. It flat out works. The suspension is as supple as any vehicle I have ever ridden in.

I love how every time I use my key/fob to unlock the doors, the seat and mirrors move to my settings and my radio presets store and I'm ready to rock. When my wife uses hers, it's the same thing. I love the heated leather seats and rear air. I really like the 3 moon roofs. I like the on-board tire pressure monitor. I really love the multi speaker Boston Accoustics Sirius stereo, it rocks.

There isn't much I don't like about it.

Last edited:
Back