• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

****ed Off!! RUST!!!!!!!!

Culinary_Hooligan

NAXJA Forum User
I went to pull the carpet on my 96 Xj today, to get ready to go have it Line-X'd in a cpl weeks, I figured i'd go ahead and start prepping it...
Well all looked good, on the floor panels, just a few small dots of surface rust here and there... but then i get to the passenger side rear seat floorboard. Just above where the muffler sits, A BIG STINKIN patch of rust, not just surface rust either.... some spots of rust through.... the rest is the enitre depth of the sheet metal
the spot in all is about 9x6 inches.... now, i've got to cut that patch out, and weld in a replacement panel..... dammit to hell...

umm, join the club.....sorry to say it but that is a common spot to have rust, there and where the tranny hump meets the floor boards on the pass side - the carpets hold in moisture very nicely, the rest you know about.....fortunately mine were small enough to not need to weld a large-ish patch to the floor.

red91inWA said:
It come from the factory that way. I think everyone has it.

I think they sprinkle a little salt there, just to give it a good start.

While you're investigating the rust there, take a good close look a the spot welds that hold the brackets for the emergency brake cables. This is a weak spot, and on mine, one almost came right off, and both flexed far to easily to provide a good brake hold. I had to drill the brackets for bolts, and add reinforcing plates to mine. You may not notice it so much if you have an automatic (who uses the handbrake on an auto?) but on a stick shift it's pretty critical.

Culinary_Hooligan said:
I went to pull the carpet on my 96 Xj today, to get ready to go have it Line-X'd in a cpl weeks, I figured i'd go ahead and start prepping it...
Well all looked good, on the floor panels, just a few small dots of surface rust here and there... but then i get to the passenger side rear seat floorboard. Just above where the muffler sits, A BIG STINKIN patch of rust, not just surface rust either.... some spots of rust through.... the rest is the enitre depth of the sheet metal
the spot in all is about 9x6 inches.... now, i've got to cut that patch out, and weld in a replacement panel..... dammit to hell...

Yup, been there, done that..got herculiner ALLLLLL over the t-shirt. Even managed to get herc over-spray on the inside of the windshield..using a roller..then again, the glass on the 'shield ain't rusted..cough..so it must work.
Good thing you jumped on the prep work, and found it, passengers look kinda silly doing that Fred Flintstone feet to the pavement thing...

poomba said:
Yup, been there, done that..got herculiner ALLLLLL over the t-shirt. Even managed to get herc over-spray on the inside of the windshield..using a roller..then again, the glass on the 'shield ain't rusted..cough..so it must work.
Good thing you jumped on the prep work, and found it, passengers look kinda silly doing that Fred Flintstone feet to the pavement thing...

How much was the Herculiner to do the cab of the XJ? how does it look, holding up ok?

Helpful hint: Make sure you secure the oxygen sensor wire harness when you pull the passenger front seat belt mounted on the hump. On the bottom of the vehicle, that bolt secures the sensor harness and keeps it off your drive shaft. If that wire shorts out it will blow the 20amp fuse that powers the ECU. Not hard to fix, but a pain to troubleshoot in the parking lot at work. :banghead:

MaXJohnson said:
make sure to mask off your hootus

A properly masked hootus is the key to a great herculining experience.

-Scott

sintax said:
A properly masked hootus is the key to a great herculining experience.

-Scott

Still the funniest s**t I have ever heard. Make sure you take a leak before you start the job.

On a real note that applies to the thread: I had some pretty significant rust in several spots when I did mine and after sanding and hurculining the rust has stopped. Even though my carpet still gets moist occasionally.

Last edited:
Culinary_Hooligan said:
How much was the Herculiner to do the cab of the XJ? how does it look, holding up ok?

On sale, around $89.00 a gallon and a gallon, will do a lot. you can get it by the quart, and if that's all ya need, that works too..just more expensive to buy it by the quart. Its held up a year, no problems at all. Some places you might find it a lil cheaper and a lot of places sold it last year at 110.00 a gallon..which is too much. Wear disposable gloves, helps quite a bit, and have plenty of ventilation. I used acetone to prep the area..so if you don't use ventilation, no telling what you'll end up doing..lift kits, tires, SYE's..they all make a lot more sense with a marked lack of oxygen.

Back