• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brighter reverse lights

AKjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
i was wondering if anyone knows if it wouold hurt the wiring in my jeep to run dual reverse bulbs if i wired one set to the existing set, or if it didn't work the the worst case it pops a fuse?

also i dont want to use other lamps bolted on to my bumper or something if possible, i want to make it appear to look stock, pluss i wont have to worry about them getting torn off or busted

I used higher watt bulbs in the back-up lights for my 87, sindged and smoked the plastic lens some. On my 88, I put a 55 watt backup light (looks like a fog light, with a dispersing lens), tucked it up under the bumper pretty good, hardly noticeable. About 8 inches towards the center from the right frame rail (an existing hole), used a piece of flatstock to move it towards the gas tank a couple of inches (it´s protected fairly well from the tank and trailer hitch). Works well, the bumper acts like a shade and keeps most of the light on the ground, haven´t managed to knock it off yet. The local police don`t like uncovered lights on the roof, or that´s probably where I would have mounted it.
I used a relay mounted, in the left rear, behind the panel. Used the hot wire for my trailer harness for power, the normal backup lights, to trip the relay. I don´t really know the amp rating on the backup switch, decided to avoid using it.
Rear roof mount would probably make more sense, especialy in high grass, roof mount or rack mount, if you can get away with it.

Back