• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle shims at stock height????

nrwphoto

NAXJA Forum User
I know shims sound like modification, but this is about a factory setup.

I recently replaced the springs on an XJ I bought last month with Dorman heavy duty leafs and Moog replacement coils. At the same time I replaced the lifted shackle with a factory replacement and all new shocks. It sits at 19" hub to fender front and has settled to 18.5 rear. (currently a little higher than factory UpCountry specs)

I am now getting some driveline vibration under acceleration. Not horrible, but noticeable. I checked my driveline angles and got..

Axle yoke - pointing up 6.5 deg
T-case output - pointing down 4.5 deg
Drive shaft - 14.5 deg

This means the the axle yoke is pointing 2 deg above the t-case. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the angles should be equal or the axle should point down 2 deg, so that during load the axle rotates up to equal out.

Does this mean that I need a 4 deg shim to bring the yoke down? Why would this be if the XJ is sitting near factory? Transmission mount looks good and it has the factory crossmember not a drop like Rusty's.

Yes the 4* should do the trick for you.

U-joints first, then let the leaf springs settle and measure again.

I did do the rear U-joint when I did the springs and brakes, but I did not do the forward u-joint.

A trip too Ikea with the wife yesterday helped to break in the springs. Loaded the Jeep up with about 700# of boxes and stuff. 3 flat and 1 regular carts! Still can't believe we got it all to fit inside. I really thought I would be strapping stuff to the roof for the 100 mile trip back. I told her next time we go, we bring the trailer.

Back