• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 Comanche - front parking lights/dash lights not working

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Did some searching but nothing really seems to match my issue.

Dash lights: When I pull the head light switch, no dash lights. When I turn the switch (rheostat) to dim/brighten the dash lights, nothing. When I turn it the other way to turn on the dome light, I get dash lights.

Bad headlight switch?

Parking lights: Tail light operation is fine. When I pull the headlight switch, the right and left turn signal green arrows light up. Signals and hazards work fine with the headlights on, front ambers light up for the turn signal, but I think its the parking filament lighting up and not the brighter turn signal filament. Amber corner lights work fine but don't blink with the turn signal. (I believe they should alternate on/off with each other?)

Fuses are fine, just replaced the bulbs, the contacts in the sockets are in great shape with good electric lube.

Ideas?

Last edited:
definately check your grounds and get a switch. I've had a few cars do exactly what you said with, turning the dimmer to dome the dash lights turn on. Check your tail light grounds, and make sure they're not corroded.

Tail lights work fine in all modes.

Grounds up front must be ok - all circuits share the same ground wire path. Test light shows no power going to the turn signal circuit to light up the bright filaments in the turn signal bulbs.

It's just interesting that the green arrows light up just like a burned out bulb in the circuit would.

I think I'll remove the bulbs and see if the green arrows still light up - that should indicate a short further up the harness I'd imagine.

Then I'll probably look at the connector between the harnesses and check for power to both sides and go back thru the main harness and connectors from there.

another quick check for the front marker lights is to pull the lens and giggle or push the connectors from the back of the sockets. Mine were doing the same thing and it turned out that the internal connectors in the socket had completely corroded away. I had to rewire the sockets to restore the lights.

Back