• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removal of clutch line from slave 91

jeepmadness

NAXJA Forum User
Cherokee 91 4.0 Laredo.

Trying to disconnect the clutch line from the slave line. Black cylinder attached. Concerned about snapping slave line. Nut on slave line wont budge and used liquid wrench

Any insight?

Thanks

jeepmadness said:
Cherokee 91 4.0 Laredo.

Trying to disconnect the clutch line from the slave line. Black cylinder attached. Concerned about snapping slave line. Nut on slave line wont budge and used liquid wrench

Any insight?

Thanks

possilby a little heat around the area where it screws into it to expand it just a hair.

jeepmadness said:
Maybe a silly question Is brake fluid flamible or can i use a match. Or a hairdryer.

IIRC...it is flamable at about 450*.

if you have a butane style torch and compact the end of the flame I would think you'd be ok...

however I'd wait for someone to cooberate this theory. ;)

Use a flare nut wrench on those fittings, and put back pressure on the line to avoid tweaking it. Hit it with PB Blaster a few times before you go at it.

Doesn't it have a quick disconnect fitting? should be on the back side of the bell housing. If so, you need to push the plastic in & pull the line out.

Rob

Re:Felix removal of clutch line from slave 91

Felix,

I have a black clyinder with a bolt round with two flat edges. This is screwed into the slave C line with a screw nut 7/16. Yes it is located at the back of the bell housing. Not to sound dumb which I beginning to feel and probably sound like, how the hell does this detach. Really concerned about messing the slave line up.

If you can give me some insight really appreciate it. Im trying to give this car to my son.

Thanks Madness

Can you post any pic's? Mine has something simular, but there is a quick disconnect aft of that.

Rob

Wish i could post a picture dont have capability. I called a transmission shop and he said that it is a quick disconnect. Rust gets into it a makes it real difficult to get off. Said he has special tools but could not be specific. I been hitting it with PB blaster.

Any insight.

The quick connect fittings are identifiable by the plastic tabs that stick out. Depress the tabs and pull the line straight back. But I don't think you have quick disconnect fittings on the clutch line. At least my 1990 w/ AX-15 internal slave cylinder doesn't have them. Only QDX fittings I'm aware of are on the fuel line (2) and on Jeeps with auto tranny on the cooling lines.
Only way I could loosen the fittings on my clutch line was with a flare nut wrench. A cheap SAE set runs about $20.

Back