• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Leaf Downtravel / Do I need new shocks?

Mirage mobile

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I just added JKS shackles and relocation brackets to my 1999 XJ rear suspension (OME leafs and OME 60053L nitrocharger sport shocks).

With the additional equipment, my resting length is 22.5" of the 24.5" max extended shock length (no BPE and stock axle mounting on Chry 8.25).

I assume this will result in insufficient downtravel capability (~2") but would appreciate your input.

Also, I've felt the OME nitrocharger sports have been stiff onroad when fully unloaded. With all my camping gear, its much better.

Therefore, any input on new shocks (if needed) would also be appreciated.

Unbolt shocks at the bottom, flex to the max with whatever you have available, (I use a forklift) and observe where the shock mounts end up at full drop.

Do you still have a rear sway bar? It's become the first thing to go when I get in the back of one.

The rear sway bar has been removed.

Below are images showing the process you describe. The distance from the shock axle mount point to body mount point is 27" just before the tire comes off the ground. (shock extended length is 24.5")

AT RESTING HEIGHT WITH SHOCK FULLY EXTENEDED
2wdswu8.jpg

PICKING UP REAR SUSPENSION WITH HI-LIFT
rh04yu.jpg

LEAF SPRING MAXIMUM AND SHOCK FULLY EXTENDED
21nk6iu.jpg

your shock is definitely limiting droop with your new setup. shocks neither like to be limit straps nor bump stops. luckily, the leafs are a natural limit strap.

you can relocate your axle side shock mount to make more use of your shock, but that is only half the equation.

i would suggest setting a positive bump at full compression. then from there you can evaluate... will relocating the shock mount be enough, or do you need to purchase a new shock as well. or does bolting a new shock in fix your problem entirely? either way... i would still suggest a positive bump.

You'll get more drop to one side if you tuck a wheel on the other.

In other words, pick it up by the wheel/axle on one side and look at the other.

Measure extended and collapsed length for travel.
And find correct size shocks for your application.

Back