• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regearing my XJ

Gelsinger64

NAXJA Forum User
I recently put a 4.5 inch lift on my 94 cherokee. I wanted to regear then but do to lack of funds, I had to hold off for a few months. My question is what gear ratio should I regear to. I have the dana 30 in the front and the 27 spline 8.25 in the rear. I run 33s. It's my daily driver so most of the driving I do is on the road. I live in the mountains and take it on trails too. Also, what am I looking to spend and does anyone know of a shop that does it for a decent price. I live in central PA.

Go 4.88s. I had 32s on my jeep when I geared to 4.56 and it felt great. It had a ton of power and didn't rev too high on the highway, but I did stay around 65mph. I then swapped out the 32s for 33s. I noticed a big reduction in power and while I didn't actually measure it, the gas mileage seemed to get worse as I feel the motor was under more of a load. It is true that with 4.56s and 33's you have lower than factory gearing, but I'm thinking the weight of the wheels and tires kind of takes away from the benefits of it. I'm assuming here that the end ratios between "4.56s and 32s" and "4.88s and 33's" is pretty similar.

4.56 or 4.88. I had 4.11s and they were great for 31s but when I went to 33s I was left wanting more umph. Mine was an auto as well.

I agree with all of you 4.56 for auto, but consider what the OP said, this is his daily driver. 4.10s are a good choice when thinking about gas mileage, and 4.88s are a good choice if you spend more time in the rocks then on the road, and 4.56 is a good compromise.

4.56 or 4.88. I had 4.11s and they were great for 31s but when I went to 33s I was left wanting more umph. Mine was an auto as well.
My experience too. 31's were fine on 4.10s, with the AW4, but the performance died when the 33"s were installed.
4.56 gears fixed it and are a good combination for street and trails.

Thanks everyone who posted. I appreciate the help. I think I'll go for 4:56s.

Good choice! As for a shop, I suggest posting in your local chapter. Probably find a member that could help you out

Am I the only one who likes driving my xj with 33x and 3.55 gears on the highway? I cruise at around 75mph ok n my way to work and in OD with TC locked up my RPMs are at 1800 and I get 14.5 mpg, if I want a little more passing power I just shift down to 3rd, wait for TC to lockup and I'll be at 2200 rpm. 3rd gear without TC locked up puts me at around 2500rpm. This is all at 75mph on flat highway no hills

Am I the only one who likes driving my xj with 33x and 3.55 gears on the highway? I cruise at around 75mph ok n my way to work and in OD with TC locked up my RPMs are at 1800 and I get 14.5 mpg, if I want a little more passing power I just shift down to 3rd, wait for TC to lockup and I'll be at 2200 rpm. 3rd gear without TC locked up puts me at around 2500rpm. This is all at 75mph on flat highway no hills

Ideally you should be cruising at 2000 to 2200rpm at 60-65mph in 4th. You would probably get better mileage if you left it in 3rd

My guess is you have never taken your XJ to Colorado or any of the western states.
We have a lot of mountains, with long, steep grades. Gears are good.

My guess is you have never taken your XJ to Colorado or any of the western states.
We have a lot of mountains, with long, steep grades. Gears are good.

You are right haha I totally understand that, I would definitely regear if I did alot of that but Wisconsin is pretty flat lol

I will try running in 3rd for a while and see if my mpg is better with a higher rpm. If so then I might consider regearing as well.

BTW sorry for thread jacking OP

YES GO W/ FOUR FIFTY SIX. i run that w/ 33's on the street & use 35's for offroad, its perfect imo, offroad im always in low range.

OK, I'll tell on myself. I am running ~4-inch lift with 255/70 R18 wheel/tire combo, on 3.55 gears with AW4. I live at 6000 ft. elevation, manifold vacuum at idle is 18-inches.

I cruise the highway in 3rd gear, at 2500 RPM. The speedometer says 55 mph, actual speed is closer to 70 MPH. Under constant load, @ 2500 RPM, manifold vacuum will hold steady at 4-inches.

Without any corrections for odometer discrepancy, I log a consistent 14.5 MPG.

My project axles have 4.56 gears, to set my highway cruise at 2350 RPM with a nominal 32-inch tire. I have no qualms over cruising 2500 to 2800 RPM.

Last edited:
Back