• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a UNICHIP (with Pics)

Thats alot of improvment for the price, i was looking into http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techar..._jeep_xj_cherokee_supercharger_kit/index.html
to basically do exactally what you did. Yours seems alot easyer and cost effective for sure lol.

I'm looking for something that will let me pull a small trailer loaded with gear along with the jeep full of the kiddos and their crap on our wheeling trips without getting passed by every grandma and church van on small hills. Depending on which way the wind is blowing, there are times i still get passed by them on level roads lol.

Keep us updated on your mileage imprvments also =) If I'm going to be springing for 91, I wanna know its worth some extra mileage as well as power =)

LOL looked up the supercharger kit alittle more and found a few places that sell it... for 3500 bucks LOL... while this chip mod dosent have the HOLY S*** factor a suercharger would... it definitally hits me where it counts...the bank lol, you could build a stroker for 2k and have similiar results heh. This chip mod looks better and better ;)

Milehilonewolf,
This might sound a little ridiculous, but maybe you could get UNICHIP to sponsor you for a dyno run or two since you are probably one of thier first customers to use it on a XJ. Just a stretch, but you might want to give them a call or shoot an email over! But anyway, very clean install!

I will be posting my mileage results here in the next couple days.... I will be ready to fill up and I will calculate the mileage I got on this first tank of gas. I will also post the second fill up numbers to see if its consistent.

I'm very optimistic about the numbers because for the past 6 months I have been keeping track of my gas mileage numbers and I always saw numbers around 17-17.5 mpg. I've already reached the 17 mpg mark and I have about 3-3.5 gallons left in the tank.... I'll keep you posted.

I have given thought to contacting the Unichip rep I used to see if he would be interested in the sponsoring some dyno testing on the XJ... would be great info for their website.

In terms of price, you can buy a basic Unichip from www.rjroffroad.com for about $485.00. I purchased mine directly through Unichip for $540.00, but this included a completely "custom" mapped chip, based on the very specific mods I have made. I got very lucky, because the rep I talked to also had a jeep with very similar mods, and they used his jeep to dyno test my chip.

Now that I think about it... the rep might have some dyno test sheets to give me based on the dyno run he took, I'll look into it....

In South Africa where the Unichip originates from all suppliers offer a dyno as part of the deal when buying a Unichip. As every vehicle is different, it needs to be set up on each inidvidual vehicle specifically to get the best results and most efficient tune. Saying that, plug and play harness's aren't offered on all vehicles and the Unichip is usually spliced into the OE wiring which basically eliminate home installs in any case.

Back