• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie locker noise?

I'm familiar with the noises auto lockers make. I have a Detroit in the rear 8.8. What I'm talking about is the clunking that only occurs during sharper than normal turns. Basically what was discribed in the original post of this thread. It's not the normal "ping"!! that happens in parking lots. It's a constant, consistant, ratcheting, clunk. Not the tick that they usually make.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm familiar with the noises auto lockers make. I have a Detroit in the rear 8.8. What I'm talking about is the clunking that only occurs during sharper than normal turns. Basically what was discribed in the original post of this thread. It's not the normal "ping"!! that happens in parking lots. It's a constant, consistant, ratcheting, clunk. Not the tick that they usually make.

Thanks!

Sorry for the late response, I've been at North Myrtle Beach for a week on vacation:D

The noise you are describing is what my first D-30 Aussie made and did so for 3 years and 4k miles or so. It was NEVER a issue.

I just installed a new D-30 Aussie in my new front axle that I built and it is quiet. I only bought the new locker so that I could wheel my old axle up to the day I installed my new axle without having to be without the front locker. I sold the old locker to a wheelin' buddy with a CJ-5 and he is happy with it.

I installed a rear 8.25 Aussie at the same time and it is noisy as hell! much like my first front Aussie was. I wouldn't worry about it as long as all of the gaps meet specs and it locks/un-locks as the directions say it should when you test it.

The 8.25 Aussie is still not as violent of a lock-up as my old full case Detroit was.

Back