• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Have these? Do they work as good as they look?

LJRockstar

NAXJA Forum User
Buying tires is a pretty good way off for me, but I still like to look at whats out there. I've seen a few rigs locally running these. I kinda like the way they look, but the tread design doesn't jump out at me as a good snow tire. I know it's only may, but we do get a lot of snow here so it's a big part of what I need a tire to do.

I'm planning to long arm my 96 sooner or later, and when I do I'm looking at 285/75R16's. I like when the tires don't stick too far out of the fender so I'm hoping that size won't be too wide on a 7" rim.

If you're running these, what do you think of em? Lets face it most of the miles that get put on them will be dry pavement in DD mode, hows the road ride? Wear characteristics? Are they noisy? When I used to wheel a lot I always preferred rocks to mud. How do they hold up in the rocks? Hows sidewall strength?

I ran 35" mud grapplers on my last rig, they were unbearably loud on the highway. Ear plugs loud. These don't look to be that bad but I could see them roaring if they end up feathered or cupped.

Grabber.jpg

there good in sand, that's about it. Horrible in rain and worse in snow

I had a chance on picking up 5 of these for real cheap on craiglist when I was looking to bump tire sizes. I did about an hour of research and quickly came to the conclusion that they are pretty much a tire for west coast terrain. Dry, sandy, go fast stuff.

I also think it speaks for itself that across all of the south east I have never seen anyone have these out on the rocky trails. They seem to be for the flashy, caliswag rigs. All the rage in my group of wheeling friends has been nitto, goodyear, and cooper just as a suggestion.

Take a look at the General Grabber AT2 -- I have 4 vehicles with these on them

They are not a great mud tire but road, rain, snow is awesome -- No rock experience with these

They are so good in the snow I had a guy plow in 2 wheel drive not realizing 4x4 wasn't engaged

I have a set of 35/12.50/15 on a suburban -- 1 finger drivable at speed -- this set has almost 20,000 miles on them and the tread still looks new

Thanks guys. Doesn't sound like these are the ones for me... I have AT2's on it now, I haven't been out on the trail with them yet, but they seem to be pretty good on the street. Going by looks alone, they look to be good snow tires. (Bought the jeep the week after our last snow for the season.)

So forgetting about the Redline's (I think that's what they're called) how about tire size. What I wanted was 33x10.5x16. No one offers an AT in that siz that I've seen. They have Boggers, but that's way more tire than I'm looking for. You think the 285's will sit nice on 7" rims? I'm bad with the metric tire sizes. I just can't visualize them like I can standard sizes.

I've been running the Goodyear Duratrac's for a few years. one because they are in rain/snow, second because they are available in "C's", ! I run a 265/75/16.

I run 285/75/16s on a 7" rim, no problems. Haven't lost a bead aired down to ~8 psi. Wear fine on the road as well.

Have run MTR/Kevlars and got good tread life out of them for an MT(25k, could have run them longer in the street but they were shot for off road)

Currently running Kenda Klever MTs in the same size. They're way softer and I only expect to get 12-15k out of them but I'm no longer daily driving the XJ so I'm fine with that, and they're cheap enough to buy 2 sets for what I'd pay for Kevlars. They hook up awesome off-road as well.

They are a heavy tire always take into consideration the weight of a tire. I have GY MT with Kevlar and they are a really good tire. Great in Mud, Rocks, Snow and not loud on the street.

They are junk. Though general just came out with a new red letter. The X3 that I'm curious about. So far reviews of them seem positive. But yea the original red letters... Let's just say that after my roll over accident in my last rig, I hoped insurance would reimburse me for those hunks of crap

Saying you wheel a JK is like ordering Chinese takeout and calling yourself a chef.

Back