• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dreaded Newb Post - Lift Question

NEOhioHick

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched and haven't been able to find a good answer, so I'm going to ask. Trying to fit 32's under a 3.5 lift, possible w/ some minor trimming? Also, is there a big difference with quality of lift kits (understand you get what you pay for) but any kits to stay away from.

Thanks

NEOhioHick said:
I've searched and haven't been able to find a good answer, so I'm going to ask. Trying to fit 32's under a 3.5 lift, possible w/ some minor trimming?

I'm not sure where the question is there. Fit some 32's under a 3.5" lift, with some minor trimming. Its easy. :)

NEOhioHick said:
Also, is there a big difference with quality of lift kits (understand you get what you pay for) but any kits to stay away from.

Yeah, lots of them. Go take a look at Rubicon Express part number 6130. Its a very complete (and good) 4.5" lift. If I were going to suggest a "starter" lift kit, that would be the one. Smaller lifts from RE and even larger lifts from other vendors do not replace all of the compenents that kit does, and in my not very humble opinion, its a bare bones starter lift for someone who isn't looking to be replacing worn out parts and chasing problems.

Last edited:
Just remember to buy the full rear leafs with w/e kit you get.

I got my 3" lift from RC (rough country) from the gentleman, Grimus, on here (he'll hook you up). And I love the lift so far with my 31" BFG Mud Terrains.

P.S. Almost right after getting the lift though I bought shackles for more lift and will be getting spacers...so you'll get the inch bug quick.

C85D4x4 said:
Stay away from Rustys.

Um What? Rustys makes very good lifts ive beat the crap out of rustys stuff and still works good. What problems have you had?

I would agree that Rubicon Express makes the best lift for the XJ if you have the money go with them

You searched and couldnt find the answers to that question?

Search harder and read the sticky on how to search.

and I will NEVER buy Rusty's anything. Stay away no matter what anyone tells you.

95meangreen said:
Um What? Rustys makes very good lifts ive beat the crap out of rustys stuff and still works good. What problems have you had?

Yeah, Rusty's makes good lifts, the Dana 35 is trail worthy and Scientology is a real religion.

:dunno:

I have a Rusty's front end skid (not installed yet, still chasing and fixing steering issues - I believe someone said don't get the 3.5" RE kit as it will leave you chasing problems... definitely don't get it if you plan on being taller than that and already have a good plan in place.) and Rusty's tow hook brackets. Skid looks and feels pretty beefy. Towhook brackets bent every time I've been pulled out of the mud with them (twice). Still did the job though, but I am planning on reinforcing them.

I'm not sure what Darky there was saying. I have had great success with my RE 3.5" lift and it has proven itself worthy of the few dollars it cost me.

Make sure you buy the full leaf pack. It will be cheaper and wiser to buy a kit with a swaybar disco system (than buying it afterwards). RE makes it easy to add a few more inches for growth when you decide you really wanted to run 33"s.

swbooking said:
You searched and couldnt find the answers to that question?

Search harder and read the sticky on how to search.

I found a lot of info, but nothing very conclusive. As I mentioned, I have anew set of 32's, but I don't want to shell out the big $$$ right off for a 4.5, my question was answered though. Probably RE 3.5, will spacers and shackles for an inch more (as long as the arms accomodate it) the SYE and CV driveshaft will come before it all so when I add the spacers and shackle for the extra inch, no worries. Thanks for the help!!

NEOhioHick said:
I found a lot of info, but nothing very conclusive. As I mentioned, I have anew set of 32's, but I don't want to shell out the big $$$ right off for a 4.5, my question was answered though. Probably RE 3.5, will spacers and shackles for an inch more (as long as the arms accomodate it) the SYE and CV driveshaft will come before it all so when I add the spacers and shackle for the extra inch, no worries. Thanks for the help!!

Don't forget to add brake lines, upper control arms, and a good trackbar.

In the end, buying the RE 4.5" lift will cost less than buying the 3.5" kit and adding shackles. Companies are cheap, if you didn't need that junk to run safely and stable at 4.5" of lift, RE would not include them.

So...., what about Rough Country's 6.5 lift with full spring packs? I know the control arms don't have Johnny Joints, but they are adjustable. Plus, the kit comes with basic shocks for under a grand, a little over with the drop brackets.
I've got their 2.5 BB on my JK and the spacers were pretty well built (welded steel). My intent is adventure, some medium to hard trails in Colorado, daily driver. My days of doing the Hammer trails are over.
Comments?

I am not a fan of their trackbar, but with the drop brackets that would be ok.

6.5" without drop brackets is asking for trouble. ;)

NEOhioHick said:
You could fit 32's with no lift, it's all in the trimming. And this subject has been !!!1 you need to re-read how to search.

GauchoMD said:
I call BS. I've had Rusty's 4.5" leaves on my rig for over 4 years and they're still nice and "u" shaped...:lecture:

Rusty's leaves are about the only thing of quality his name gets stickered on, and he doesn't make them.

Coincidently, I have 32" tires on a Rusty's 3" lift. Bought it like this, but its got Rusty's springs and AAL (damn previous owner...) and 265/75/16 BFG's. The rear edge of the front bumper by the tire had to be trimmed slightly, but that was the only spot. I could drive around on the street all day like this with no problem, but don't even think about trying to flex with that setup. I ended up pulling the flares and trimming the fenders all around and now everything fits great, even with lots of flexing.

If I had bought a stock height XJ, my first purchase would have been the RE 3.5" kit and probably 31's, but 32's are nice too.

Oh yeah, if you do go Rusty's, don't get their shocks. I upgraded my shocks from Rusty's to OME's and the ride quality improved drastically.

Back