• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to identify Non C-Clip Axle

redsand187

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 XJ. I was wondering if there is a way for me to identify if it is a C-Clip or Non C-Clip axle. I'm about to buy a locker but have to know which one I need.

redsand187 said:
I have a 90 XJ. I was wondering if there is a way for me to identify if it is a C-Clip or Non C-Clip axle. I'm about to buy a locker but have to know which one I need.

Look whether you have a retainter plate holding the axle shaft in or not: pop the wheel off, pull the drum off and look. If you have a retainer plate, it's a non-clip. If there is no retainer plate then it's a c-clip.

90 was the first year of the C-clip Dana 35 rear which was used up till 01. 84-89 were non C-clip Dana 35's. This is a photo of what the rear diff cover should look like for a Dana 35.

standard.jpg

I know I have a Dana 35, I just want to know if it is a cliped Dana 35. I've heard that in 1990 they used both the Cliped and Non Cliped axles. They made the transition sometime mid production is my understanding.

redsand187 said:
I know I have a Dana 35, I just want to know if it is a cliped Dana 35. I've heard that in 1990 they used both the Cliped and Non Cliped axles. They made the transition sometime mid production is my understanding.

89 was the last year for the non C-clip. If you want to see for yourself pull a wheel and brake drum off to look like Remi suggested. With a C-clip your axle flange will not have a hole in it to access a retainer plate behind it. Here is a photo of a non C-clip axle flange.

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Back