• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parts Train: Front Axle from Simi to Huntington Beach

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Talking to Clean RC about a gear install but he'd prefer to do it with the axle out of the Jeep. I'd have to take the 4.10's out of the housing currently in the Jeep, which would render my Jeep un-drivable, so I have no way to get the axle down there.

Anyone with a truck head that way?

Take the gears and shafts out of your old axle and remove the front driveshaft. Stick some stub shafts in to support your hub units and it'll be drivable.

Worst case senario i could get it down there but it might be a little while.

Take the gears and shafts out of your old axle and remove the front driveshaft. Stick some stub shafts in to support your hub units and it'll be drivable.

wont it fold like a taco if i do that?

Nope. As long as you have the outer stub shafts in there, you'll be fine. I drove home from Sedona once like that.

Thanks for the info Johnny. I've never taken apart axle u-joints, is it tough?

It's easy if you have a u-joint tool or a good bench vise.

The easiest thing to do would be to find someone who has a couple of stub shafts laying around. I have a couple that I carry for emergencies. But I'm kinda far from you.

Are you in a hurry to get this done? I think I'll be in the Valley the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Or I can lend them to you if you do decide to go to JV.

Last edited:
It's easy if you have a u-joint tool or a good bench vise.

The easiest thing to do would be to find someone who has a couple of stub shafts laying around. I have a couple that I carry for emergencies. But I'm kinda far from you.

Are you in a hurry to get this done? I think I'll be in the Valley the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Yes and no. Deciding whether I'm good enough to go to goatfest given the leak. If I am, not much of a rush.

Well, let me know. I'll have the stub shafts with me at JV.

Thanks Remi, I'll keep you posted on whats up.

Anyone have any tips on how to remove the pinion nut so I can get the gears out of my axle? I do not have an impact.

Anyone have any tips on how to remove the pinion nut so I can get the gears out of my axle? I do not have an impact.

Impact. ;)

Put the Jeep on the ground and have somebody on the brakes. Remove with a 1 1/8" socket and long breaker bar (or breaker bar and strong tube/pipe combo). Curse while doing so, Jeeps respect curse words.

Thanks everyone. I'll find a way to get it off.

Back