• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this worth it?

haynesn12

NAXJA Forum User
my auto shop teacher wants to sell me a ford 9 inch rear end that came out of a race car. it is 63 inches wide from end to end. it's set up for a race car so it has a link setup. and the hubs need to be changed so i can have the same bp. it doesnt have a 3rd member tho. he said he wants 200 for it. i dunno if it is worth it. but i need something since my yota rear end isnt going to work. any idea?

no

$200 for a housing that you need a 3rd member and also need to get custom shafts?

nope

because of the wheel bolt pattern you could try re-drilling the shafts you can find those with a third for much cheeper in the bone yards. not to mention the link setup is useless

yea the problem is i cant find a 9 inch like anywhere in the state of maine. none of the yards i've gone too habe them and i dont wanna do an 8.8.

$200 is a good chunk o change towards a Currie housing...

http://www.car-part.com/

they show some taco rear ends at yards...

$200 WALK AWAY!!!

is $220 a reasonable price for a complete explorer 8.8? its the only rear end i can find around me thats the correct bp. it has 3.73 gears but i dont even know what my mj has for stock gears right now. it is an 88 4.0 with a man. trans.

Last edited:
AndrewSpoonFedAylmerMarina.jpg

my 87 with 4.0 and man trans has 3.07 gears. I imagine yours is the same.
Break in the carrier for the front HP d30 is 3.73 *I think* So you can get 3.73 gears for the front and not have to get a new carrier. Again, I think it's at 3.73, it's either that or 3.55

It sounds to me like you aren't getting the answers you want to hear. The truth of the matter is that $200 for something you have to completely gut and toss seems to be a waste. You'll be far further in cash-wise if you buy your shop teacher's axle with new axles (to change your bolt pattern), new center section, gears, locker...

Go to some junk yards and search. Spend some time, you'll find whatever you want. Claiming there are no yota rearends in the state of Maine is really an uneducated statement.

no i said that searching on the site he gave me it said there were no yota rearends in the state. i didnt say there wernt any. and i already was thinking that 200 was too much but was just asking some questions about it. and wanted to know what people thought about it. and i'm sorry that i appear uneducated to you

Back