• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NW Lifts

XJCasper

NAXJA Member #1042
I am developing a list of part I need to get before going on any NW runs or to Moab. I plan on going to Moab next Octobor. Anyway...

I need to finalize plans on a lift and the ultimate tire size. I am debating the RE 3.5 and 4.5 lift kits. This Jeep has become somewhat of a daily driver, but is supposed to be used for bad weather and off road excursions for the family.

I have determined that I do not want to do the Lift install. Due to my schedule, the parts might sit in my garage for another two years. Is there anyone here that I could bribe? Or who in the area would you recommend to hit up for the work for a reasonable price.

For local trips, including upcomming Snow trips, would 3.5" be sufficient? If so, Super Ride or Flex? Thinking about going with some of the Rancho adjustable shocks. Is this overkill?

Thanks guys.

Jason

I don't think there is much difference in building a NW vehicle than a vehicle for any other part of the country.

Most people start off with a small lift like you are talking about at about 3.5" to 4.5". No need to jump in way over your head and go big right away. It is best to learn the basics on a smaller vehicle that is predictable yet agile.

The RE 3.5" kit is a good starter, especially if you don't plan on regearing. This will keep your tire size around 31" (maybe a bit bigger if you go with a narrow tire).

I would go with the best equipment you can afford. If you can swing the super flex, do it. There are plenty of people who wish they had after blowing out bushings on the super ride arms.

Also, go upper and lower if budget allows. The very best of RE's arms would be both upper and lower adjustable super flex arms. This way, you can adjust them when you go higher, and adjust them for better caster settings.

Also, the kits that come with the spring pack is the way to go. The add-a-leaf is just too stiff.

As far as shocks, it really depends. The way to go is with some Bilstiens, but unless you plan on staying at this height for a while, you'll end up selling them for a fraction of the price you paid to buy longer ones. Rancho adjustable shocks are nice, but too stiff on the harder settings. Pro-Comp's MX6 looks promising, but I have not read too much about them (might want to search).

As far as lift height, 3.5" will get you in plenty deep. It is a good size for NW wheeling. Though, for the minimal cost difference, I'd be tempted to run 4.5" lift with some 31" tires or a bit larger (metrics), but not 32" tires. 32" tires will work, but for a daily driver, it surely is not ideal.

Hope that helped.
Steve

JMotorsprt said:
I have determined that I do not want to do the Lift install. Due to my schedule, the parts might sit in my garage for another two years. Is there anyone here that I could bribe? Or who in the area would you recommend to hit up for the work for a reasonable price.

Talk to John at Auburn Car Repair in Auburn. He's really knowledgable on XJ's and suspension lifts. He's also got access to many manufacturers parts so ordering from him might also save you some money. You can reach him at 253.939.5019.

Back