• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fabrication

XJ618

NAXJA Forum User
ok i am completely new at fabrication, im talking no idea, i think its pretty nuts though and the search just isnt specific enough. so help me out. i know people use metal that is 3/8"? i think, for a good durability/weight ratio, and i know everything is welded together. my question is what do you use for the actual face of say a bumper? im guessing some sort of thick steel sheet, but what do you use to bend it, or do you cut the specific peices and weld all 90* angles?? does anyone have any plans (like from acad) they could post just to see how you would draw up something like this? I know a lot of you are really into ths so i would appreciate any advice or words of wisdom i can get. thanks

most people use 3/16 - 1/4

i only use 3/8 for key items that need a whole lot of strength....ie: wristed arms

3/8" steel would be extremely heavy for a bumper. 1/4" would be indestructable still and 50% lighter. I like to use 1/4" where I might actually hit the bumper on a ruglar basis and then just somthing lighter like 3/16" for the rest of the bumper. I personally don't want 100 lbs of steel hanging off the end of my XJ. It's always a balance. Many bumpers out there like TrailReady's bumper only uses 1/8" and they say it's "bullet proof". I wouldn't go any lighter than 3/16 and 1/4 being truely bullet proof.

Strength comes from form more than material thickness!Mines got everything from .120" wall to 3/8".It took a week to form fit the radius of the front grill!
Front Bumper Pics

XJ618 said:
ok i am completely new at fabrication, im talking no idea, i think its pretty nuts though and the search just isnt specific enough. so help me out. i know people use metal that is 3/8"? i think, for a good durability/weight ratio, and i know everything is welded together. my question is what do you use for the actual face of say a bumper? im guessing some sort of thick steel sheet, but what do you use to bend it, or do you cut the specific peices and weld all 90* angles?? does anyone have any plans (like from acad) they could post just to see how you would draw up something like this? I know a lot of you are really into ths so i would appreciate any advice or words of wisdom i can get. thanks
box tubing and angle are your friends to avoid too much welding

Eric@OA said:
3/8" steel would be extremely heavy for a bumper. 1/4" would be indestructable still and 50% lighter.

it would only be 33% lighter.

I suggest 1/4" for the frame tabs, 1/4 or 3/16 for the winch box, and 8 ga. for the "skin"

geometry will determine what material thickness is needed.

a .120 strip of steel, bent in a hat section is more rigid than an unformed strip of .250 with the same outer dimensions.

Beezil said:

I suggest 1/4" for the frame tabs, 1/4 or 3/16 for the winch box, and 8 ga. for the "skin"

geometry will determine what material thickness is needed.

a .120 strip of steel, bent in a hat section is more rigid than an unformed strip of .250 with the same outer dimensions.
33.3333333% lighter

Beezil said:

But 3/8" is 50% heavier than 1/4"?
How can 1/4" only be 33% lighter than 3/8"?

Is this non-linear math?

kidding....., ok?

I agree with Beez, mostly. My old bumper was .125" skin over 1/8" square tube with a 1/4" wall angle at the lower "leading" edge. It held up to everything but a failed attempt at a 5200lb backflip.

Okie Terry said:
33.3333333% lighter

thanks.

which one of you guys thought it was important to clarify?

Nerds.jpg

Lincoln said:
The dude in the middle? He looks more like a claifier.
Ya. That's me in the glasses.

Damn them cool lellow tinted shades.
Chicks in the chess club dug those.

XJ618 said:

You should go find a local steel supplier and see if you can wander around in their warehouse, getting an idea of the various shapes and thicknesses available. Nothing like firsthand visual aids to clear up your questions.

Okie Terry said:
Well, you know a thread has served it's usefulness when Linc posts on it.

Stick a fork in this, it's done.

I've posted on it several times.

Beezil said:
lincoln serves no purpose.

total uselessness.

I do to. I just prefer railroad ties for bumpers. It can be shaped with a chainsaw and blood blends better with treated wood.

Then all this welding talk. I'm developing an industrial sized JB Weld applicator for those bumper and cage installations. No more burnt carpet and headliners. Soon to be released in 2099.

I'm trying to find a supplier for my weld bead stickers. They work great to cover up monkey snot welds, just glue and paint! They will be available in mig, tig, stick, and poison spyder customs stacked spot welds.

JJacobs said:
I'm trying to find a supplier for my weld bead stickers. They work great to cover up monkey snot welds, just glue and paint! They will be available in mig, tig, stick, and poison spyder customs stacked spot welds.

I'll take a case. No more trying for a good weld when you can just stick them on.

Lincoln said:
I'll take a case. No more trying for a good weld when you can just stick them on.
The best part is, you can put them on your railroad ties and all your friends will be amazed.

Back