• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new rig (Black Betty)

XJensen

NAXJA Forum User
Well I finally settled with insurance this week. Plans changed the day before the check came when Matt posted his rig for sale. I couldn't pass it up.

Jon dubbed it Black Beauty inanother thread so I'll go with that.

Re: new rig (Black Beauty)

Specs

Hesco 4.5 stroker
HP 44 high steer detriot 5.13
Ruffstuff Ford 9 detroit
35" MTR Kevlar on alum beadlocks
Smitty built bumpers
Rockers not yet installed

Everything is brand new with about 100 miles on them.

It look great and holy crap that stroker can accelerate up the hills on hwy 50 in od. Power to spare.

Re: new rig (Black Beauty)

Black Betty sounds like an amazing name . Remind me of when we got chased off a ginger hicks properly in Georgetown.

You guys are right i like that. And I'll never forget that night Jon. There was a point when i was not sure if you were going to come back from that test drive or if we would be shot later while negotiations.

Black Betty it is.

snow runs for sire.

Alright i guess it's time i document this build.

Last week i made a large purchase i have been waiting years to make. It should ship out in two more weeks, more on that when it gets here.

Some of you may have seen my thread about the new jeep being really freaking loud. I downloaded a decibel meter on my phone and it measured 74db going down the freeway at 65.

For referance i drove my 2005 f150 65 down the freeway and it measured 60db. Both have flowmasters which i really want to get rid of. As a result of the other thread i will be putting in a magnaflow but not quite yet. There are more fun and important upgrades to do.

As of now there is zero protection under the rig. I have a stock zj gas skid that will go on as well as rock rails that need to be welded up. The trans crossmember is welded on the unibody without stiffeners....

I am going to plate everything from front to back but am unsure if i should cut the mounts off and use my tnt belly pan, cut them off and reweld them to the stiffeners or leave them and cut the stiffeners to go around them. Thoughts?

The last two opion would leave me building a belly pan for the tranny and tcase.

I just did some sound proofing on wilbur. It made a substatial difference. Cost less than 150$ in materials. You would need to pull the headliner rear carpet and all the door and hatch panels. No more clang when you close the doors. Also being that betty is black, doing the roof will significantly reduce the heat transfer to the inside while sitting on the trail or anywhere in the sun.

Looking forward to the build mang.

Last edited:
I just did some sound proofing on wilbur. It made a substatial difference. Cost less than 150$ in materials. You would need to pull the headliner rear carpet and all the door and hatch panels. No more clang when you close the doors. Also being that betty is black, doing the roof will significantly reduce the heat transfer to the inside while sitting on the trail or anywhere in the sun.

Looking forward to the build mang.

Great Idea. What Stuff Did You Use?

Back