• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep jamboree 09

redneckboarder

NAXJA Forum User
i just signed up for the killington VT weekend. who else is plannin on goin to a jamboree event? and for those who have gone in the past how was it?

yea the price is a bit steep but it comes with food and from what i hear some good trails. are there ever any people sellin crap or sopnsors selling stuff there?

from what ive heard they provide breakfast and dinner every day, they use land that is not otherwise open to the public for wheeling, and they have trail guides to pay and im sure other expenses.

if ive missed anything im sure someone wil chime in

I was a passenger at the last one at Snow Shoe mtn in west virginia. Lots of fun, good food, good people. Variety of trails to run. And they raffle off prizes at the end. Its a good time.

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Friday and Saturday. Breakfast Sunday.

The rest goes to the usual suspects, land use fees, venue fees, etc.

Guides are local clubs that are not paid, in fact they need to pay to be there, might wanna give 'em a thanks when you are there.

Rev

A buddy of mine wanted to run the Rubicon Jeep Jamboree but had no capable vehicle. So he asked me to do the driving, if he paid for the ticket. :) How could I say no?
They had a ton of good food and experienced guides. They had a great camp and fire with a good sized raffle and entertainment around the fire.
It would be great for someone from out of town - all you do is show up and they take care of you. You wouldn't have to worry about anything, from getting lost to vehicle repair in the middle of nowhere.

'tis trew.

On the Ouray Jeep Jambo, I tore a LCA mount off the frame, they hooked me up with a local guy that welded it back on, better then new, just as he was about to go to a "nice" dinner with his wife. He did charge me...$20...I gave him $40.

The guides are people like us, they take that weekend to show a bunch of for the most part noobs in stock vehicles arond the trails. There are some built rigs, but they are the minority, a built XJ will attract people like free snacks at a Wal-Mart.

Rev

ooh im glad that the people are willing to help, i was worried about breaking my rig and not being able to get it home cuz i have no trailer.

i kinda figured it would be the rich folks in their new jeeps going cuz the price is kinda steep

ooh im glad that the people are willing to help, i was worried about breaking my rig and not being able to get it home cuz i have no trailer.

i kinda figured it would be the rich folks in their new jeeps going cuz the price is kinda steep

As long as you have the parts (and even if you don't someone will) there will be no shortage of experienced wrenchers to help you get it going.

The guides are people like us, they take that weekend to show a bunch of for the most part noobs in stock vehicles arond the trails. There are some built rigs, but they are the minority, a built XJ will attract people like free snacks at a Wal-Mart.

Rev

Yep, I kinda figured that. We're looking at it more as a scenic trip for the two of us, with wheelin' being a nice bonus :D My XJ is nothing special compared to your choptop rig Rev, but I bet it would be in the minority with a built vehicle.

I have a slight fascination with Deadwood anyway, and not because of the HBO series. Something about it being one of the last "Wild West" towns draws me like a moth to a bug zapper.

As long as you have the parts (and even if you don't someone will) there will be no shortage of experienced wrenchers to help you get it going.

yea ill have parts i was worried about access to specialized tools that i dont carry with me like welder an such,

im gonna start accumulating parts cuz i wanna try some of the tougher stuff with an experienced spotter, last time i tried somethin out of my comfort zone i ended up on 2 wheels cuz of a bad spotter

going up a steep incline on the rocks...we blew a bead on one of the tires. we were with a group of 13 other jeeps. in 10 mins we had 5 guys working on it, and helping to winch to flater ground. another guy actually got his jeep up near my friends, used his onboard air to reseat it. we were back in action in 15 mins! later on we slid off a stump, hit a log, and ripped the brake line off. guy behind us came up, let us borrow some clamps, so we pinched the line, and made it back to camp with 3 brakes. One of the guides had a spare set...sold it to us for 10 bux...everyone helps out, its cool.

last time i was out i had to pack light for the overnight cuz it all hadda come with me on the trail, im glad theres accomodations around at night so i can bring all my spare stuff and just keep it in my hotel room and not have to worry about it taking up space and weight on the trail...ill only bring whats necessary on the ride

I went to the '07 Paragon (which was closed so we went down the road) The guides worked all week to make new trails so we'd have a place to go since Paragon was dropped last minute.
Then I went to the Jersey Pine Barrens one this year,(learned a lot about water holes), but had a great time at both, being a novice they really helped a lot.

DSCN1286.jpg

ps. Note to self, don't do that again.............

Next year I'll try a different one, I've heard snowshoe is unbelievable.

Back