• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mod

Pnwxj808

NAXJA Forum User
I don’t know if this is the right place to be posting this but I need some ideas on how to pull out this part in my frame! It’s punched in pretty good from hitting a tree on the drivers side any ideas would help thanks guys!
9badfa88d56050bebff0e97c53ffe7ee.jpg

ac111c6c9683e74b7a3e363228a3d315.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What vehicle is this? Otherwise I'd recommend a frame shop!

Sorry, I see it's a XJ front left!

Regardless of the fix you better get a good bumper on it after that

So I need these to strengthen the bumper? Haha sorry I should have been more clear on what I was going to do haha not just throw a winch bumper at it haha I do plan to do tie ins haha
004352aba3fc4a574174e097849886e8.jpg

Looks like a perfect setup for a slide hammer, but I wouldn't want to use the factory threads for pulling.

If you could insert a bolt from the inside of the frame and pull on that, I think that would be best. Put a grade 8 washer under the head to distribute the force over more area.

If you can't insert a bolt from the inside, then try using a hardened bolt of the same thread as the factory threaded insert, but add a hardened nut on the inside so that you aren't using the factory threads to pull against.

Looks like a perfect setup for a slide hammer, but I wouldn't want to use the factory threads for pulling.

If you could insert a bolt from the inside of the frame and pull on that, I think that would be best. Put a grade 8 washer under the head to distribute the force over more area.

If you can't insert a bolt from the inside, then try using a hardened bolt of the same thread as the factory threaded insert, but add a hardened nut on the inside so that you aren't using the factory threads to pull against.

What size slide hammer you think would work?

The bigger the better.

You aren't trying to pull a tiny dent out of the middle of a thin fender.

O wonder if an enerpac or such hydraulic jack would work. I have used an import version to jack with sheet metal. I think my frame on my 2000 XJ was dented in a bit. I think I remember the guy who welded on my frame stiffeners said he used a football to pop out the dented rails. ???

RCP Phx, can I get away with welding my mount that’s on my bumper now to the tie in and also weld the tie in to the unibody?

I don't care for welding to the uni-body but for all the rest yes!

O wonder if an enerpac or such hydraulic jack would work. I have used an import version to jack with sheet metal. I think my frame on my 2000 XJ was dented in a bit. I think I remember the guy who welded on my frame stiffeners said he used a football to pop out the dented rails. ???

How did he do it with a football?

Probably inserted it into the frame without air in it, then inflated it.

The trick would be to get it to make the difference you want where you want it, and not on all sides of the football. Judicious placement of a few thick plates of steel would probably help.

Plates, nut, bolt...

This could be done from inside the frame.

A couple of thick plates, a hole drilled in one, a grade 8 bolt and nut (small enough to clear the threads on the existing internal nut) and you could push this out from the inside.

Just another way to skin this particular cat.

Back