• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some real FUN about to be had XJ with ZJ parts

Da XJ nut

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
:viking:
I have a 97 XJ 4 door 2wd at the moment and I was given a rolled over 97 ZJ 4x4. both 4.0 auto trans. The XJ is AW4 and the ZJ is 42RE i know with the NP242. Question is....can I use the transfer case adapter from the 42RE on a AW4 so I can put my 242 under my XJ and am going to use the axles from the ZJ also since they're already built up with 3.73 gears, lockers, and upgraded shafts. don't know who did it but I'm grateful. I have lots of experience building, fabricating and have full shop/tools and welders at my disposal. Going to weld spring perches to the tops of the D35 rear axle and going to lift it 4.5- 5 inches to clear 33's may have to trim fenders but not scared. Any advice out there about output shaft swap vs. cutting it off to length for conversion.

Thanks everyone who read this :exclamati

The answer is no to almost everything you asked about doing. There is no interchangeability between the AW4 and the 42rle. You will also need to rebuild the AW4 to install the correct tailshaft.

I just need to replace the output shaft, trans has only 20k on it and shifts great. I use the vehicle as a daily driver at the moment. I know I can use the 242 transfer case and axles because I have both driveshafts from the ZJ also.
I had read in an earlier post that someone said you could cut down the shaft instead of swapping it. I did mention that both were 97's and both outputs are 23 spline. Thanks for the input

I just need to replace the output shaft, trans has only 20k on it and shifts great. I use the vehicle as a daily driver at the moment. I know I can use the 242 transfer case and axles because I have both driveshafts from the ZJ also.
I had read in an earlier post that someone said you could cut down the shaft instead of swapping it. I did mention that both were 97's and both outputs are 23 spline. Thanks for the input

You must have mis-read, mis-interpeted something.

I have both a XJ and a ZJ. The TCase out of the ZJ will bolt right up to the XJ and vise versa. I put the 231 out of my 2000XJ into my ZJ temporarily while I rebuild the 242 that it had. The only thing to check is that the output length is the same, it should be since all 96-98 ZJ's have .840" 23 spline input
All 96-01 XJ's: .840" 23 spline inputs.

What he is asking about is if he can use the zj 4x4 adapter on a 2wd aw4 to mount the transfer case, which from what I remember is a no, not even a aw4 adapter will help. Maybe halmca will see this, he just converted one and had every problem in the book.

Getting it out of a 96 XJ with the 231 transfer case. Going to use the 242 still because I'm not using the vacuum lock front axle. I can source both for under $175.00 but will most likely have to use just the output/ tail shaft from that trans to put in mine after removing tail housing and using the extension housing that I don't yet have. They should be compatible with each other from what I've read. I should have never sold my last XJ build....

I'm a Trade Instructor, I teach a class on Maintenance & Light Repair. I just have never converted from 2wd to 4wd and didn't realize the XJ and ZJ were that much different or I wouldn't have gutted the rolled ZJ down to the dash. I took engine, trans w/ transfer case, fuel tank all lines from front to rear, Master cylinder, axles, seats front and rear with carpet console shifter plate all brackets, rods ect. I really thought I could've found a ZJ 2wd cheap to build it and leave my XJ alone to just enjoy driving it. I'm experienced in trans building, I built the one in my XJ now. 20k on it so far no issues. The best part is I have students that can help me with this fun and they're learning to love Jeeps too !

Sounds like you have it made and free labor to boot!!!

Thank you for your guided advice, I have been checking out your build and trans stuff...very impressive. I do love the free labor and the ability to use my shop and equipment whenever I want. I also take care of my hard workers, they helped me swap a 4.6 to a 5.4 in a 97 f150 4x4 and got it running last year so I threw them a pizza party for the hard work. But my XJ is going to be soo much more than that. I love the rear bumper mods you did. never saw the finished pics of it, have you finished it ?

That is an awesome rear bumper / tire swing combo, when my XJ grows up it wants to be like yours. Great fab work, I'm very inspired by your work sir.

He did it blind folded with one hand tied behind his back. He's talented for sure even though grumpy at times.

Any progress on your xj build?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have just been driving it this week due to work schedule. hitting the local Pull A Part on Saturday for the coveted AW4 4x4 trans with adapter plate and 231 transfer case even though i wont use the transfer case it will be a back up. I will put my XJ down for Mods when I have all parts in front of me. I will have most the swap done the first couple days but still trying to figure out what I'm going to use for the tire clearance to run 33's with trimming. I have a complete 4" lift off my old JKU that I traded off with 5k miles on it and lots of old leaf springs laying around and i may just make shift me a lift.

Update: I struck out at the local J/Y and couldn't find any locally so I went to Ebay and they had the transmission extension housing for my AW4 and the shorter 23 spline Output shaft that I need for my XJ. I should have them by the 20th of April. The place I found them from was called deadjeepparts. Not happy about the name as long as the parts are good when they get here I will be well on my way to making mine 4wd.

I got a replacement seat bracket from them for my '92 a little over a year back (they're not easy to find, had to wait a bit for a truck with a good one to come into their yard).

Good folks to deal with, in my limited experience.

Back