• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My jeep build with photos over the last few years.

I dont know. A air filter sticking out the hood would be alright with me

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I would love to see a 300 in an xj... backed by a np435 with a 6.68 1st gear..... np 205 twin sticked with 4 to 1.... that would be some serious crawl.... the granny gear would do away with the need of a doubler as well....
I love the 435 in my old dodge! Ford used the same one for a few years.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

We might see this happen ive managed to end up with a set of .020 over pistons. A couple 300s and one 240. Even have a block thats already machined.

I rode in a bronco with a 300 built like mine with chevy valves decent cam. I didnt go as agreesive on the cam though.

Thing was a beast lots more tourqey then I was imagining kinda like driving a 12v cummins.

But the 4.0 is working in my jeep so otl stay till its not working. Rear suspension and other stuff is prioritie first.

But the damn 435 is tempting

I would love to see a 300 in an xj... backed by a np435 with a 6.68 1st gear..... np 205 twin sticked with 4 to 1.... that would be some serious crawl.... the granny gear would do away with the need of a doubler as well....
I love the 435 in my old dodge! Ford used the same one for a few years.

The numbers look appealing but not the sheetmetal work to make that fit in the tunnel. They still make 11.7:1 atlases that will way out gear that setup and be much easier to fit and have equal driveshaft lengths. Even the 10.34 that i have with the ax-15 3.83 first out gears that and its almost to slow much in low low.

Sheet metal work to me is a sledge hammer.

A 300 in xj is one of those things that might go smooth or it might turn into a month of living in hell .

4.0s are a dime a dozen its pretty easy to just keep one under the hood.
There are ways to go slower with about 1000 bucks spent
That may be worth not having to go through a living hell.

Sheet metal work to me is a sledge hammer.

A 300 in xj is one of those things that might go smooth or it might turn into a month of living in hell .

4.0s are a dime a dozen its pretty easy to just keep one under the hood.
There are ways to go slower with about 1000 bucks spent
That may be worth not having to go through a living hell.

Take a lot more than a sledge hammer to create a new place in the floor for the tcase to live. That combo is like a foot shorter that the stock setup. The trans is shorter and the 300 is 8” shorter. The tcase is going to end up under your feet. Stupid short front shaft as well.

I understand wanting to do it for cheap. I did that for many years. And yes there are many ways to get deeper gears. But i have almost a flat belly with my atlas 4speed. And that actually only needed a sledge hammer. Time is an asset. It did not take long to install and get the desired result. And i only need to carry one spare drive shaft.

Last edited:
I get were your coming from. What we speak of I have no exsperince with not have I pulled tape on anything .

I do know that most attempting to do a project like this may have to deal with epa Bull shit. They also may not have a shop full of tools beyond a sledge hammer. It most definitely is a project for the lesd than 1% out there.

On a side note I feel less than 3% actually build and tune a jeep so something like this is unfathenable.

For me I have suspension under the hood that likly is in the way may completely snowball and on me.

My effort is best put into other areas of the jeep

Gordo you're absolutely right. It's just a "neat" thing to fathom...
I did not realize the 300 was shorter than the 4.0 though. That's shocking

I am not sure what shorter means. The 4.0 valve cover seems at home on the 300.

I dont actually think the 300 is shorter my eye says its longer.

The 300 435 205 combo might be shorter as a unit. but like I said ive done zero tape pulling to compare
78c80246ba56f2481ac17f0c8b83f086.jpg

Gordo you're absolutely right. It's just a "neat" thing to fathom...
I did not realize the 300 was shorter than the 4.0 though. That's shocking

I was referring to a dana 300. I may have gotten confused when you were referring to the engine as the 300. I was assuming you meant dana. Either way the 205 is shorter and the 435 is way shorter than an ax15 and np231. My guess is there will be much sheet metal work in your future going with that setup. Im sure the engine is comparable in length to the 4.0. Sorry for the miscommunication. Project looks cool man. Nice work.

Last edited:
Thats how missinformation on the wild Web starts.

Ill measure and compare when I have the 300 435 205vcombo bolted together.
The block Box is 8" might make length peeeerfect

I did read slightly on the 300 tcase when researching 231doubler stuff

Words are hard.... bahaha
I looked into running a dana 300 for a bit, but even with a free case it didn't make sense to me... after gears shifters input and output shafts... that's getting close to atlas $....

Thats how missinformation on the wild Web starts.

Ill measure and compare when I have the 300 435 205vcombo bolted together.
The block Box is 8" might make length peeeerfect

I did read slightly on the 300 tcase when researching 231doubler stuff

Black box will definitely help.

Dang. Probly worth saving a few hundred hours cussing and cutting on the thing to shoe horn something in. Actual value might be 10k in time savings

Weve got a battle going on in here to get these balanced, the bald tires of my truck before the weather hits.
933295df1238633811746ac9f7b27c30.jpg

Back