• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skipping???????

sloppyjoe

NAXJA Forum User
I have this very wierd skip. It is like when I am driving down the road at 35mph to 55mph, it's like the tranny wants too put the car into another gear? I don't know if the skip is the tranny or is it a fuel skip maybe even electrical? Don't know do you guys have a clue. Thanks JOE

Not having had an auto tranny in many years and judging by my wifes oldsmobile does the XJ auto have both a D postion and an OD postion ? The D is used for around town and OD or D within a circle O is used for the hiway and can get a bit funky in 35mph traffic, hunts alot, did it with the old tranny and the brand new one we just put in. Also that button for power/cruise might be involved too.
Just some thoughts...

Well it has a 1-2 position 3 and D. I think that the D is the od together. i just fixed i thought when I went to 4.56 gears, but the problem still exists, maybe fuel or spark , the tach moves with the skip,but not violently or any thing really lightly. I'm stumped???????????????

More info K&N intake, highflow cat with v-force muffler, 33in tires, 4.56 gears, 94 2 door JOE

Check the intake for obstruction.
Check the plugs and wires for loose connection or shorts
Add some dry-gas
Check fuel filter
then maybe tranny problems.

hmm, I get a kickback CLUNK sometimes when just going a steady 35ish or just when I let off the gas a little, it has been there from the previous owner judging by the maintenance papers... new u-joints solved about 3 other CLUNKS but not that one.... my vote is either AW4 internals or maybe loose tranny mount... VEERRY low on my priority list right now so you'll have to let me know what you find out-
BTW--other posts have said lube your slip splines in the rear driveline, U-joints! U-joints! U-joints! check pinion backlash(?), or try replacing your gas cap with a flaming rag....

Bad TPS (throttle position sensor) often causes transmission headaches. 'Kinda hard to test 100% even with an analog meter but it's possible the potentiometer has a dead spot and sends confusing voltage feedback to the TCU at some throttle positions.

FWIW I'm on my 3rd TPS in 2 years and the similar sounding funky tranny burp keeps on keepin on

OOPS- I almost asked a thread hijacking question but then I caught myself- I'm gonna post a new thread.... NOW!

XJXJ said:
Bad TPS (throttle position sensor) often causes transmission headaches. 'Kinda hard to test 100% even with an analog meter but it's possible the potentiometer has a dead spot and sends confusing voltage feedback to the TCU at some throttle positions.

I think that might be a place to start, not too costly. Thanks JOE

N8 DAWG said:
Check the intake for obstruction.
Check the plugs and wires for loose connection or shorts
Add some dry-gas
Check fuel filter
then maybe tranny problems.

Plugs wires jUst changed but will check again
fuel filter is new but will replace
What in the heck is "Dry gas" if you mean good gas, then ok I will stay away from the walmart gas, but I do not use the cheap stuff anyway. Juat let me know what "Dry gas is and I'll try it if I haven't allready. Thanks JOE

Dry gas is a Witches brew of chemicals that cause water in the gas tank to be broken down in small enought particles to pass through the fuel system without freezing, or vaporizing or other problems. Without it, frequently what will happen is that semi-pure water will be pushed into the intake without enough gas to properly make combustion. Consequently, sputtering, coughing and a host of other problems depending on driving and whether conditions.

When you say "skip" do you actually mean the transmission is slipping? Is the engine reving up for a second before the transmission shifts?

Back