• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving a boat - steering recommendations

steveareno

NAXJA Forum User
I just switched from 31" to 33" tires and I have found that my steering now has considerable play. I am wondering if switching to upgraded steering such as Curries' or others that eleminate the "Y" type connection will improve the "tightness" or steering responsiveness? Recommendations from those having simular experiences would be appreciated.

The currie steering retains the factoy Y setup, its just beefier. Before you go replacing things that dont need to be replaced, see where the play is coming from. It could be the trackbar, steering box, steering shaft, bad ball joints, or the tie rod ends.

Nothing wrong with the inverted Y steering, and yes, the Currie is the same style just beefier components, and it's the best system currently offered. Ditto on check out what might have play in it before you start spending any money. Your answer really isn't here, it's under the front of your XJ checking every joint for play while someone else turns the steering wheel back and forth slightly.

Thanks.

agree with others, check underneath while someone turns the wheel back and forth. i was suprised how much crap moves under there that probably isnt supposed to.

I just switched from 31" to 33" tires and I have found that my steering now has considerable play. .

Be aware that a 33" tire's taller sidewall is not going to be as stable as the shorter 31" tire. High performance street cars have very short sidewalls.
Taller sidewalls squirm more than shorter ones.
I have two sets of tires/rims, one 31"s and the other 33"s. I can feel a big difference in the steering response between the two, I prefer the 31"s for daily use and save the 33"s for off-roading. The steering, with the 33"s installed, feels looser.
That said, take the previous recommendations and make sure the suspension and steering are tight.

And if you do upgrade steering go with something that isn't factory design. Go with Serious offroad, JCR. Go one ton

New tires (285x17) on 17x8" rims along with new ball joints, regeared (4.56) and rebuilt (bearings, seals, grease) Warn selectable hubs. Blanced, tightned, alighned, etc.

By more slop are you referring to the dead spot it both of those companies designs?

yes. inverted T has a dead spot... there is no way around it. it will result in a wandering feeling at highway speeds. trust me I have it.

the only way to mitigate it is to run assist...but even that is not a 100% fix.

Back