• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many pinion gear shims is too many?

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I am putting together a new ring and pinion in my front Dana 30, high pinion axle. I got a nice gear pattern after adjusting the shims, but it requires a boat load of shims on my pinion shaft. I got 0.083 inch, 13 shim stack in front near the gear end, and 0.111 inch, 8 shim stack at the yoke end. Is there a maximum allowed shim stack thickness? just wondering if this is ok before I button her up.

Thanks!

The yoke end on a HP D30 would be for the pinion bearing preload.

As for the shims by the head of the pinion did you forget to put the oil slinger back on?

I won't comment on the install or need........but thicker is better, don't use 3-.005" shims when you could use 1-.015"!

83 is alright for the pinion head depth stack, but the preload stack is usually somewhere around 65-70. The rolling torque is only supposed to be about 15-20 in-lbs for new bearings.

And when I say 83 is alright I mean for everything - the baffle under the pinion head (typically .030" in setup kits), the baffle behind the race (typically .020"), and any additional shims.

Back