• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC compressor clutch

beaglebriar

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I'm new here but I've been lurking for awhile. My compressor clutch has chit the bed, already removed the shim and that got me through summer. Now it's slipping again and was stinking pretty bad yesterday when I got home so I unplugged it.

I found this replacement on eBay and was wondering if anyone has tried one? The price seems fair enough but I'm wondering if a junkyard clutch is a better idea? I'm not keen on paying two bills for a complete compressor unless that's my best option.
add3e23e79b89200ee613bffb2b92665.jpg

i am in this same boat too. I ordered a new sanden compressor with clutch for $130 from RockAuto. just got it in. Now thinking about swapping the clutch or the whole thing.

my ac compressor was a junk yard swap from the PO so I might do the whole thing. but either way I will already have the compressor.

I replaced the A/C clutch twice before the compressor finally died at 240,000 miles.
Changing and recharging the compressor isn't hard if you have access to a vacuum pump and 134A gauges, with the knowledge know how to use them.

Be sure to change the accumulator, orifice tube and all the o-rings, along with using the right PAG oil for the compressor.

I replaced the A/C clutch twice before the compressor finally died at 240,000 miles.

Changing and recharging the compressor isn't hard if you have access to a vacuum pump and 134A gauges, with the knowledge know how to use them.

Be sure to change the accumulator, orifice tube and all the o-rings, along with using the right PAG oil for the compressor.
Did you use a junkyard clutch? My compressor isn't locked up so I'm thinking it's going to be simpler to just replace the clutch for now.

I think you can "rent" the vacuum pump and gauges from AutoZone etc.

Back