• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission filter?

d10shun

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to change out my tranny fluid for the first time. Is there a filter and filter gasket inside? Are there any other adjustments I need to do while in there? My truck lurches when I shift from park to drive currently.
Ben

There is a filter and gasket that are available from any auto parts store or the dealer. The filter is actually just a screen that you can clean but I always replace it just to be safe. When you get a new gasket just spend a little more and get the rubber gasket instead of the cork. I would get more specific with part #'s and prices but you did not post the year, engine, transmission or any other specifics. I am a technician and if a vehicle comes in with a shifting problem it very rarely improves the condition of the problem by changing the fluid because normaly the damage has already been done. It is best to change your transmission fluid and filter at least every 30,000 miles when using stock fluid and under normal operating circumstances.

Joe

It is a 95 4.0 HO auto trans. What do I need to do to tighten up the tranny?
Thanks.

What do you mean by lurches? Mine definitely moves when you put it in gear and its totally normal. My 95 XJ 4.0L/AW4 that is. I second the idea of the rubber gasket, I bought the cork one and it leaked like hell. I got the rubber one from Napa and it hasn't leaked a drop.

Back