• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

World Cup

Yeah, I too was not happy to see Carolina lose tonight. :D

I thought it was a good game, much better than the Czech thing. Italy has a rep of the bad boys of Soccer in Europe. The US of A didn't do to badly. They gave as good as they got.
When they drew group E as first round opponents, they started out at a real disadvantage. Czechs are rated second in the world, the Italians are always near the top of the ratings. They might have done better with an easier group in the beginning, to kind of season them a bit.
They kind of looked like a second league team when they played the Czechs. They did OK this time around.
Even the European commentators even gave them some kudos.
If they had a real scoring star or two and some serious speed on the flanks, they could do well.
There middle field play was as good as most. They detected the weak right of the Italian team quick and continiously tried to exploit it.
I'm really not much of a Fussball fan, but enjoyed watching that game.

:yawn: Soccer is just hockey without the ice or sticks or heavy sweaters or fights or heterosexuals.
Anyway, whatevah.:sigh:

It does get kind of yawn sometimes, when they just run back and forth for an hour and a half and nobody scores.
I liked all the stretcher action in this game. After the US captain got elbowed, things changed some.
It looked like they were palying football for awhile, instead of fussball.

Jeepsterboy101 said:
Yea but in the end it was a mistake. Now the US is out two starters for their game against Ghana. Even if they weren't deserving of red cards for the challenges....
I was thinking the same thing, the Italian team is likely deep enough to take the losses. I don't really know what the deepth of the US team is.
I saw a couple of close ups of the Refs face during the match. He looked really worried for awhile. I guess he figured he had to do something to try and keep the lid on things.

Okie Terry said:
:yawn: Soccer is just hockey without the ice or sticks or heavy sweaters or fights or heterosexuals.
Anyway, whatevah.:sigh:

This is what I find amazing about soccer-

The Europeans critisize us for our violent foolball games that we all watch, where the fans watch and then have a BBQ in the parking lot.

then they watch the most boring game since golf and have riots that torch entire cities. Messed up.

SCW said:
This is what I find amazing about soccer-

The Europeans critisize us for our violent foolball games that we all watch, where the fans watch and then have a BBQ in the parking lot.

then they watch the most boring game since golf and have riots that torch entire cities. Messed up.
Well, the Europeans do the same: They watch the game and afterwards also have a BBQ in the parking lot ;)

what I find interesting is the fact that americans are so hateful towards soccer... I have played my entire lift and when I was a teenager I played for the same olympic development program that landon donovan and demarcus beasley played for... I'd like to get some criticizers out on the pitch and see if they can run with me... I can hurt someone 100 times worse in a soccer uniform than anyone can in football pads... go USA

LilRedRover said:
what I find interesting is the fact that americans are so hateful towards soccer... I have played my entire lift and when I was a teenager I played for the same olympic development program that landon donovan and demarcus beasley played for... I'd like to get some criticizers out on the pitch and see if they can run with me... I can hurt someone 100 times worse in a soccer uniform than anyone can in football pads... go USA

Definately getting more popular, I just think it's about like watching the traffic cameras showing the freeway during rushhour. I watch my son play and even pay for him to do so, I just don't understand getting hyped up about it.

FWIW, golf is worse. I just started a new job 2 weeks ago and everyone there spends all their free time picking fantasy golf 4-somes and discussing the latest whatever. I told them I'd be happy to goose hunt on most golf courses and they left me alone, thankfully :D

Sweden Fans have more than their team to cheer for!!

...BOB

r3852284480.jpg

LilRedRover said:
I said soccer is a snoozefest, not that I could play better or run faster than any of those manly-men.

Also, I see you got paid as much in your soccer career as I did, through sixth grade.

Okie Terry said:
I said soccer is a snoozefest, not that I could play better or run faster than any of those manly-men.

Also, I see you got paid as much in your soccer career as I did, through sixth grade.

spoken like a true hillbilly

Hardly.
I grew up in the suburbs.
Back when Pele' was a household name.

My specs:
I played soccer for seven years.
My dad was the assistant coach, and my grandad was the team's sponsor.
As goalie, I had a three year streak with no goals scored.
Our team was first in the league five out of our six years.
My family was INTO soccer.
After I lost interest and moved on to something else, soccer was the farthest thing from thier minds.
I'd wager that 95% of Americans are the same way.
Soccer is wonderful while people are associated with it, but once the kid's done, who cares?

Anyway, goodluck convincing people that soccer is more exciting than ping pong....(n)

Okie Terry said:
Hardly.
I grew up in the suburbs.
Back when Pele' was a household name.

My specs:
I played soccer for seven years.
My dad was the assistant coach, and my grandad was the team's sponsor.
As goalie, I had a three year streak with no goals scored.
Our team was first in the league five out of our six years.
My family was INTO soccer.
After I lost interest and moved on to something else, soccer was the farthest thing from thier minds.
I'd wager that 95% of Americans are the same way.
Soccer is wonderful while people are associated with it, but once the kid's done, who cares?

Anyway, goodluck convincing people that soccer is more exciting than ping pong....(n)

whatever man... your thing is your thing and mine is mine... I don't badmouth ping pong though do I

Back