• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fawkin ghost vibes

Gridikal

NAXJA Forum User
Specs: 97, 4.0, 4wd, 2"BB, Stock everything

I've just about givin up hope... I've tried everything I know of with no avail.

First vibe: FEELS like its comming from front of Jeep, yet no way to be sure. It is VERY dependent on throttle position oddly enough. It is not dependent on speed, rpm etc. example- Driving at a speed of 55mph, constant thottle- it is fine. Let off the throttle just a touch and a very loud noise appears (kind of a grinding noise) accompanied by a minor vibe. Let off the gas completly and it is non existant.

2nd Vibe: has to do with brakes. when barely on the brakes, the thing wants to throw you off the road (accompanied by lots of steering wheel shake and increased force required to turn wheel. When the brakes are used harder the vibe is gone

Things I have changed: pads, u-joints, balence tires, isolated drive shafts, tried a Xcase drop and removed it (no help)

Things I've noticed: While inspecting the front axle u-joints I had the wheel off and turned the axle by hand feeling for the slightest problem. On the drivers side axle I could manually turn it 3/4 of a turn with no resistance, the other 1/4 was very much harder to turn.

thanks for any help as I'm about ready to take this things out Jesse James style :flame:

Sounds like acouple different things going on at once!!!

I have had the first one before. Mine also was dependant on the load I was carrying. The more the worse!!! I had my drive shaft reballanced and it helped. Later I found the vehicle was a SALVAGE and dealer never told me!!! turns out the entire drive line was slightly askuew. Causing the vibes when paetially letting off the gas as you describe.

Second one sounds like a bad or going bad ball joint. Sometimes this is the result of a single bad joint on one end of the axle. Hard to locate because the other joint shows tight and dosent allow the clunk of a tel-tale bad ball joint.

Good luck!!
I too well know the frustration that can set in...keep a positive attitude and push forward!!!

CW

Search warped front brake disc. Seem to remember more than a few complaints about later model XJ discs warping.
You could probably put a couple of lugs on the disc and fab a pointer to check for warpage.
Noise and vibes travel through the drivetrain, it will sure enough fool you. I have a loose front output (bearing) on my transfer, that´s been slinging oil forever (new seal didn´t help for long). I picked up a grinding noise, with a slight vibration, that got worse quick, sounded like it was in the transfer (I was sweating a transfer rebuild). Turned out to be a front wheel bearing (hub), that I found by accident checking my ball joints.
Turning play in the pinion, doesn´t mean much, it´s the side play (up and down), that means the bearings are worn.
Diff bearings, often growl a lot, when they are seriously worn. The growl will change pitch during turns and in reverse.

Last edited:
Back