• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why does my Gen light keep flashing??

burnsie

NAXJA Forum User
96 Country 127,000 miles runs good but when it idles in traffic and sometimes when I am driving with the A/C on the Gen light flashes intermittently. Is this an alternator issue or maybe some kind of voltage regulator problem? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I actually had that happen in a 1969 Olds Cutlass. I never had a problem with the alternator though, so I don't think it is an issue. With mine, it would go away when I put electrical load on it. Your altornator may be a little weak, since your episode is the opposite.

alternators have three phases, it sounds like your down a phase. if you have a delco alternator on your jeep id bet the problem isthe rectifier. if the akternator is a nippendenso, the problem could be the rectifier or the stator.

Make sure you belt isn't slipping. I would check all battery connections for corrosion and that they are tight. Check it from you battery to your starter, from your alternator, battery to the engine block. If ok have someone test out your battery. If thats ok you can have them test your alternator to.. that should solve it...

Back