• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

List of Grounds

bulfo4

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched under grounds and found lots of posts that mention some locations of grounds, but I was wondering if anyone's got a list of how many there are and where they're located. Thanks.

There are lots of grounds! If you want absolute surety, dig out the wiring diagram and start counting them.

However, and maybe not much use to you, my Renix MAJOR grounds:

Battery to engine block.
Battery to fenderwell.
ECU/ICM/o2 sensor to dipstick tube (yeah, really!).
Engine to unibody--Back of head to firewall (crappy braided strap, upgrade to a good cable).

Grounds for all electrical accessories.

For the Renix, there are a collection of wires grounded in the driver's side rear quarter panel, behind the spare tire. If they get loose, you turn signals go all screwy and make no sense.

There are lots of grounds! If you want absolute surety, dig out the wiring diagram and start counting them.
/QUOTE]

There is no substitute for the FSM wiring diagrams.
The FSM for my 01 XJ has a list of all the grounds and drawings of the location of each. The wiring diagrams are complicated and broken into many subsections so it takes a while to actually trace things out but once you get the hang of it, the FSM is very useful.
Get one if you can.

/QUOTE]

There is no substitute for the FSM wiring diagrams.
The FSM for my 01 XJ has a list of all the grounds and drawings of the location of each. The wiring diagrams are complicated and broken into many subsections so it takes a while to actually trace things out but once you get the hang of it, the FSM is very useful.
Get one if you can.

I agree. If you can't find an original set (eBay, Craigslist) then you can purchase LICENSED reprints or CDs from:

http://www.autobooksbishko.com/index.html

Don't waste your money on the pirated junk!

If anyone is serious, at all, about working on their Jeep:

THE Very best money spent on a Jeep is a GENUINE Factory Service Manual (FSM) for the EXACT YEAR of the Jeep.
And a good code scanner ('medium say $50-150 or so).

Look back in a year-they usually paid for themselves Easy!

Then read and search NAXJA -THE BEST SHARED INFO.

Good Luck,
Orange

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the suggestions. You guys are a huge help. I just wanted to double check the grounds, to make sure that's not the issue I'm having, and you pointed me to a lot of things.

And you're right about the FSM. It's great. When there's something specific I'm looking for or looking at, I can usually find it pretty easily. When you're looking for 'what's causing ___?' stuff, NAXJA is great too.

Thanks.

Back