• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alignment issues

Prepmech

NAXJA Member #981
Am I the only one with this problem? Whenever I take my cherokee out on the trails, it screws up my alignment. It doesn't seem to affect my toe, but the steering wheel gets knocked off center. I checked the tie rod ends and track bar, and everything seems to be nice and tight. Is is possible for my adjusting sleeve to be slipping? Is there anything available to strengthen it? I tought of tack welding it, but that would make it almost impossible to adjust it. Any ideas?

Other people have commented on the same issue. I don't remember if anyone has identified a cause.

Its caused by your springs settling/sagging!With the inverted Y system,any height changes will result in an off-center steering wheel and toe-in changes!

RCP Phx said:
Its caused by your springs settling/sagging!With the inverted Y system,any height changes will result in an off-center steering wheel and toe-in changes!

Changing height will affect the steering wheel centering of any steering design, not just an inverted Y. But, with an inverted Y the toe will be changed with a change in lift height.

As far as the steering wheel not being centered after wheeling, it happens all the time. Still no firm reason for it. The lift height changing a little because of spring sag after hard use could be a factor, but the springs are stretched out as much as they're fully compressed, so who know's? It does seem to always come back to center after driving awhile.........

Back