• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Burning Oil?

JoeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
If my Cherokee is burning oil what should I do about it? IF I can do anything at all… I get a faint whiff of burning oil every time I turn it off and my oil level keeps dropping but I’m not leaking anywhere.

Joe S.

Its possible that it could be your Rear Main seal. Mine leaks out of the RMS and never once has it left a puddle. What happens is it leaks while driving down the road blows back and hits the exhaust. Hense the burning smell when you stop. Look underneath your Jeep and see if it is coated with oil. Mine is coated way back all the way behind the transmission. How oil are you going through? Mine only goes through 1/2 a quart of oil or so every 3000 miles so I'm not too worried about it.

My Xj is nice and clean underneath so i'm fairly confident it's not the RMS. Mine seems to be going down faster than 1/2 quart/3000Mi.

-Joe S.

Take a clean paper towel and feel behind the valve cover for oil, if there is oil then you need to replace the valve cover gasket. Next check under and around the oil filter mounting area for leaks there, the 'O' rings go in the mounting system, you will need to get the O ring kit from the dealer, easy fix. Next check for oil in your air filter area, when the CCV system gets clogged it sucks oil out of the valve train area and into the filter area and it can get sucked into the engine. That requires removeal of the valve cover and cleaning and R&R of the CCV piping.
Then have someone follow you, accelerate and have them watch the exhaust for any smokiness, next have them follow you down a big long hill and keep your foot off the gas, let the engine do the braking and have them look for smoke.
If it smokes on acceleration it's rings, if it smokes on deceleration then it is valve seals which are fairly easy and don't require much major maintenance. HTH

If I may suggest could you keep a log of when you add oil to your engine. Believe it or not Detroit still considers 1 qt per 1000 miles "normal" oil consumption. If we know how often you add oil that will help us figure it out.

I know we are all spoiled to vehicles which burn less than a quart every 3,000 or more miles. I had a 86 Mustang 5.0 and when I purchased it new it used a quart of oil every 2,000 miles, after 80,000 miles it went to a quart ever 3,000 - strange.

Martin is correct. Most mfrs do not consider oil consumption of less than 1qt/1000 miles to be warrantable. Of course, I would start saying an engine was tired if it sucked that kind of oil.

The best way to determine what is the root cause is a compression test, both "wet" and "dry", as that will tell you the state of both the rings/cylinders, and of the valve seals.

Valve seals, of course, are relatively easy to fix. Rings/cylinders, on the other hand......well, let's just say we can buy a LOT of oil for the price of a bored out block :)

Back