• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Key codes and XJ 99

pszczepan

NAXJA Forum User
I made procedure: " Insert the key but do not turn. Fully depress the trip reset button and hold down. Next turn the key to the on position three times and then leave in the on position. Release trip reset button and the gauges will flicker and the odometer will count down and then show the trouble codes" First odometer showed 111111, then 222222 ....and finally 999999. After that odometer showed current trip distance and procedure was done. Does it mean - no errors in ECU?? If they are when they are show - after last 999999? Pawel

Damn, I didn't know the procedure for my 99!! All this time I've been borrowing a reader!

If it's anything like on my 96, then yeah, there is a code for start, and a code for end. Not sure what the 222222 would be though?

That just cycles the gauges to prove they're working. There are no key tricks to getting codes on an OBD II vehicle--you actually have to get a code reader.

X2 on that; doesn't work on the 99; I have one. What you're seeing is just a self-test but is sometimes confused for reading codes. The key-on, key off does work on early OBD2 systems but I think the cutoff was somewhere around 98??

It should show error code , if there are some:

Here I found:

"OBD-II information is more complex, so the codes for 1998 and newer Jeeps can't be displayed by flashing the check engine light. However, those vehicles which have digital odometers will display the codes on the odometer. I've verified this personally on a 1999 WJ. For those vehicles without digital odometers, or for anybody who wants an English description rather than just a numeric code, an OBD-II code scanner ($100-300) can be plugged in under the dash. OBD-II codes can be looked up online here. "

I have digital odometer - so it should work _ I guess. Does anybody can confirm it personally with XJ

Anyway I try to read codes because recently I noticed that when I drive slow just without acceleration, before stop - still going, but the engine is in idle state the RPM are not constant - they are fluctuate. When the car stop RPMs are constant at 800.

What can be reason of that?

Back