• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pitman arm install - with steering gear OUT or IN?

hawk_sixsix

NAXJA Forum User
97 XJ 4WD

Did the V8 ZJ steering, finished my garage alignment, torqued it down, and then noticed the aluminum steering gear spacer was cracked. If the original box was coming out, a new one was going in.

Keeping in mind that the steering was just aligned . . .

Is it best to swap the pitman arm to the new box now, before installing? (Can the gear be turned lock-to-lock, splines counted, exact center found, etc.)

OR should the pitman arm be installed last, with the steering and wheels straight and steering shaft already connected?

I did it with the box on the car. Mount up the box (the steering shaft will have to be connected) and then spin the steering wheel lock to lock, and find the center. Then install the arm so it points straight back. The pitman shaft has four keyed splines, so the arm can only go on in four orientations. You could be either dead on, off by 90 degrees, or off by 180 degress, so it will be obvious which orientation you need to use.

It would be difficult to torque the nut down (~185 ft/lbs) with the box out of the car, and it would make the box that much heavier and akward to position while you get the mounting bolts started.

question... whats wrong with the original box? as much as i love new parts there is no reason to replace a functioning part just because. you could buy a spacer for $35, or build one for $5. the box will be significantly more. then youve got the mess of draining the PSF and cost of refilling it.

not harshing... just curious. hell, you can replace mine too if you want.

Original box had (fragments of) the aluminum spacer fused to it, plus one bolt snapped off in it. Overall it looks like it was recovered from the Titanic. I can do it now... or I can do it soon.

I replaced my box with a reman from napa and it has a major dead spot, I've been trying to slowly adjust the box to get rid of it. I may end up just taking it back, if you go reman try to test it at the parts store before bringing it home.

Back