• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Better mileage

icebergmedic

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all!

New to this site. I've got a stock, (at the moment) 88 4.0 that is getting rotten fuel mileage. I've tuned it up, (plugs, cap, rotor, wires) ran a good fuel injector cleaner thru the tank, sprayed down throtle body with carb cleaner and ran a couple of tanks of Ethanol blended gas.

What can I do for "bolt on" performance and economy? Let me know what works... Cold Air intake, exhaust etc.

Thank you,

Wally

Mission, British Columbia Canada

How "rotten" is your rotten fuel mileage?

i have been on the search for better milage for a while now.the two best things i did that improoved my milage and increased performance,were a jacobs ignition system and an ff dynamics triple thret electric fan kit,those two added over 50 miles per tank more and made a big difference in power that you can actually feel,my cherokee runs better then ever but i am still searching for more mpg,total cost for both was 400.00 on ebay and they already paid me back 3 fold.
dont bother with the headers,they did nothing for me,waste of money,i got a cold air intake,i makes the engine sound more powerful but i didnt feel anything when driving,i didnt gain any miles from that either.

FF Dynamics Triple Threat electric fan???? Got a link to that??

Welcome.
Your best friend on the topics you mentioned is the search tool. All of those topics have been covered several times.
Having said that, you should also check your vacuum lines for leaks, check you O2 sensor (search), manifold leaks (idle and spray around intake manifold joint with head using brake cleaner - change in RPM = Leak) and finally you should check the injectors for leaks. They are notorious for leaking between the metal and plastic. If they are original, they are due to be replaced (search again or go to five0motors.com).

What i find that works is I either dont drive it. or know that no matter how bad I think I'm doing I always know that the guys driving the fullsize fords, chevys, or dodges are doing a whole lot worse

Back