• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeaking from front axle

Citat3962

NAXJA Forum User
I get this squeaking sound from the front axle... but only in turns.. its quiet when going straight..

And it's dependant on the speed.. like it's a single squeak per axle rotation and as you speed up the frequency of squeaks increases.

I'm thinking it's gotta be something rotating.. wheel bearing, loose u joint or u joint in need of grease..... or... God forbid something ALREADY going wrong inside the diff of the Turdy...

I'm thinking that because it makes noises only when turning it's gotta be the wheel bearing or whatever joint is used at the knuckle...

It's not THAT loud.... just a little bit noisy in the turns...

My Heep is a

91 4.0L I6 with an Ax4 transmission 231 T case and the usual D30 front D35 rear axle combo.

I just got this Jeep so any info would be a big help!

EDIT::: In fact since I know it's a vacume Disco axle the internals arent spinning in 2WD right?? Just the Hubs and bearings in the knuckle right?

That would pretty much make it an issue with the knuckle bearings/wheel bearings... or the joint at the knuckle.... hopefully it's just a joint in need of grease.. thats the cheapest..

Sweet...

Should I just pick up a replacement joint from spicer? Where should I look to get them??

I know the NAPA/Auto Zone Replacements are crap..

Any point in putting stronger U joints in my otherwise bone stock XJ?

I was reading about longfields and they looked pretty well made..and seem to be the hot setup and at 70$ (?I think?) not too expensive...

Any other Ideas or things that I might replace while I'm in there?

How hard is it to do Wheel bearings??

Do you have to press the bearings in and out of the hub like a FWD car or do you just slide them in??

If it doesn't require a press I'll have to do those at the same time...

XJ dana 30 fronts dont have the common wheel bearings like a Chevy or Ford would have . They have a unit bearing which is generally reusable. At a cost in the neighborhood of $ 150.00 each im glad for that. U joints can be had at any good parts store, I just got mine from NAPA last month. If you are staying stock( no lift, big tires) than I would just replace them with stock ones. If you are unsure of what you are looking at or looking for just take it to a REPUTABLE alignment shop and ask them to take a look see.
Do a search there is a bunch of info on this subject. :paperwork

Cool...

I'm planning on doing Everything on this thing myself... SO ill be looking ito doing this fairly soon..

And yes I'll search for more info.. I wasn't finding much when I searched for Squeak front axle or squeak D30..

Now that we have narrowed it down to the U joints I can search more effectively... thanks..

Sometimes brakes will squeak a bit if the rotors haven't been turned when the pads have been changed. I had an 87 mustang that did that with it getting just a tad louder on turns for some reason....nuthin else was wrong that I could see.

My old 88 XJ had a squeak on the right side...it turned out to be the wheel bearing. Is the sound louder on one side than the other?

It's your U-joint in the axle shaft. That's why it does it when you turn. Turning makes the ujoint caps twist on their needle bearings, which are probably a combo of rust/dust in your case.

Back