• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 Grand Cherokee question

gw204

NAXJA Forum User
My '88 Xj w/ 210K is getting harder and harder to maintain as my daily driver. So, I'm contemplating retiring her and getting something newer. I ran across a local ad for a 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ the following:

Power Locks, AM/FM/Cassette/CD player, Power Steering,Cruise, ABS, Power Seats/Mirrors/Windows, Roof Rack
AC, Rear Defroster/Wiper, Leather Seats
Seat Heater, 4 Wheel Drive, Air Bags
Tow Package, Alloy Wheels, 5.2 V8, Auto Trans,
85,000 miles, Extended Warranty to 100, 000 or to 11/2/03

This vehicle would be required to tow up 4500 lbs. and see very little (if any offroad use). I'm currently towing that load w/ my wife's 4.0/auto '00 XJ and it does a phenomenal job given the fact that it isn't a full size pickup.

Anyway, back to the Grand in question. Are there any particular problem w/ Grands that I should be aware of? Is the 5.2 and auto as reliable a drivetrain as the 4.0 and AW4 in my '88 and '00?

The price is currently $8500 and seems to be low compared to what I got from NADA? I wonder if something is wrong w/ it. Have yet to talk to the guy.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Brian

If it has the 249 transfer case, be aware of the Viscous Coupler. They have a tendency of going out. Check for binding in turns while doing a figure 8. The part alone is over $400.

98 was the last year of the ZJ, so maybe they had the bugs worked out, but ZJ's are definintly not as reliable as XJ's. earlier models (particularly 95's I believe) had trouble with the AC. most had eletrical bugs and tend to warp brakes. That said, you have 15,000 miles of warrenty left to find any problems like that, they should show up by now if they exist. The 5.2 is nice for towing - if your XJ does it, the ZJ will do it effortlessly. Back when I was in high school and my dad and I were just getting into wheelin' we would tow our CJ-7 (33's, huge bumber - it weighed alot) through the mountains with our V8 ZJ. Engine power was never a problem, and it could still lock the brakes up if we tried hard enough; but we warped alot of brakes. The auto is NOT as reliable as the AW4 however, we were beginning to have some shifting trouble before we sold it. <shrug> just my two cents, take it for what it's worth.

Hate to blow the whistle on you, but this entire thread belongs on either Non-Tech or "Other Tech" since it doesn't pertain to an XJ or MJ.

The '98 was indeed the lasy year for the ZJ and it was a good year. Three engines that year, the 4.0L, the 5.2L and the 5.9L. Both V-8s run well (the old Chrysler 318 and 360), but both were gas hogs. Trannies, even on the 4.0L, were Chrysler trannies and did were not well-regarded by Jeep technicians.

Dunno what else to tell you. Oh, yeah -- if it's a V-8 it probably has an aluminum housed faux Dana 44 rear axle. Those do not accept internals from a "real" Dana 44, and the housings are prone to warping.

My apolgies to all for not placing this in the correct forum. It's been a rough morning.... :( Is there a way for me to move this thread to a more appropriate location???

Anyway, the owner (original) repied to my inquiry. It is a V8 and the asking price is now $7900. Since it's the Laredo, that means 5.2, right??? They supposedly have all the service records. Sorry I don't know my ZJs a little better. :)

I'm talking to the woman's husband later tonight and will find out which t-case it hase. That 249 scares me......

Should I be concerned about the aluminum D44 if I don't have any planned hard use.

My mom drives a '96 ZJ w/ the 4.0 and it has been flawless since day one. Hope I didn't just jinx her.....

Thanks.

Brian

The only trim level that implies a certain engine would be the 5.9 Limited, which was the only trim available with the 5.9 and only available with the 5.9 (duh.. why else would it be named that? actually, it may have been a package rather than a trim, but you get the idea). A laredo was certainly available with the 4.0. Most Limited have the V8, but not all.

Back