• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC not working but Compressor is kicking on.

pikey77

NAXJA Forum User
My AC isn't working. The compressor does cycle on and off about every 10 seconds or so but the lines aren't cool to the touch and the air coming out is pretty warm.

Even today when its 70 degrees outside I couldn't drive with the windows up because the air blowing through the vents was to hot!

Any opinions?

Its an 2001

Low on 134? It probably has just enough to trigger the low pressure switch, but not enough to actually do anything. If it is cycling that quickly, it's bringing the low side below the cutoff pressure a lot quicker than it should.
Get a can of 134 and a hose with a gauge and slap it in there. If it doesn't last very long you probably have a more serious leak and need to take it somewhere or be ready to learn a lot about A/C.

I dropped a large can in there today and its working great now.

Set it about 40PSI with the compressor on.

Hopefully it holds!!! With my luck itll be the evaperator.

I'm an HVAC Tech and as long as you didn't see any large differences in psi when the comp. kicked on and off you probably got'er fixed. Every system has small leaks. Prolonged refrigerant loss is always going to happen. The same goes for your home unit. I would check it again a week or so and if there are no big diffs I wouldn't worry.

Back