• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 transfer case leak from linkage seal causes quick leak?

lazybummm

NAXJA Forum User
Hi I have a pretty quick leak in my NP242 transfer case, when I first got it it seem to have one drop every 5-7 days, after I took it out to have it drained and refilled, it has been leaking quickly. My mechanic said the tc only had half of the amount of fluid it was suppose to have when he changed and he looked around (after cleaning and what not, and driving it a while) and said that the only place seems to be wet is the linkage seal.

So my questions are, is that common? Also does it cause a pretty quick leak? And finally is it easy to replace? where can I find the part, I looked around and didn't find anything

My 231 leaks from the same spot. I get 3 or 4 drops overnight. I check my TC fluid level every oil change, and have only had to add to it a couple of times. I may fix it someday if it's an easy enough fix, but it's not all that much bother to me. I'm interested in what others have to say though.

Is this an easy fix? matter of removing linkage and repacing it or is it more complex?

It's just a seal and a retainer. I can't imagine that it'd be all that bad. I've already ordered the parts, so if I get it done before someone answers I'll chime in and let you know how it went.

What is the grommet for? is it required or recommended to be replaced? I called local jeep dealer, and he said the grommet doesn't even look like it's related to any oil leaking issues, just a linkage part.

TIA!

What is the grommet for? is it required or recommended to be replaced? I called local jeep dealer, and he said the grommet doesn't even look like it's related to any oil leaking issues, just a linkage part.

TIA!

Yes, part 1 is just the shift linkage grommet and you do not need to change it for a leaking seal.

haha, oh well, I already ordered the grommet...

I ordered from the local jeep stealership and the prices were.

2.31 for oring
2.6x for retaining ring
and 4.51 for grommet

All balances out to about the same as the web, except save some shipping and time.

Any updates here? I have a similar leak. The linkage comes off easy enough, but mine had no grommet or o-ring (it is a new leak) there. Do I need to remove the shaft that goes through the case to the linkage? If so, how?

How to replace Linkage Seal NP242????

Any updates on this one? It sounds dead... I need to do mine in my 88 XJ

Back