• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing radiator. Any suggestions?

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
I'm replacing the motor in my 2000 and I have to yank the radiator to do that. I figured if I'm already pulling the radiator I might as well upgrade as I go. Any good aftermarket radiators out there? Costs?

I bought my 3-core through DPG Offroad, around $200 IIRC.

I'd check with radiatorbarn.com...I am a huge supporter of theirs! I've order 4 radiators from them...great prices, great selection, great customer service, FREE SHIPPING!

Just checked for you...heavy duty 3 row, all metal....$164.77 shipped!

http://www.radiatorbarn.com/search.php?product=radiator

(By the way...I am in no way, shape, or form related to radiator barn nor do I receive any commission from any sales on radiatorbarn.com........I just love their products!) :gee:

Thanks for the info. I was also looking at radiator barn. It seems they have the best price I can find. What is the advantage of the 3 row radiator over the 2 row?

An extra row of cooling tubes, slightly bigger tanks, more capacity + moves more water.

An extra row of cooling tubes, slightly bigger tanks, more capacity + moves more water.

Exactly...it's more surface area for the water to be cooled over. Think if you ran hot water through a 1 foot pipe on a cold day...it would probably be just as hot coming out as going in. Now if you ran it through a 100 foot pipe, it would much cooler coming out compared to the temp going in the pipe. Now that is taking it to the extreme just to get the point across but you get the idea.

A 3 row offers 150% more cooling area over a 2 row.

I really appreciate all the info guys. I am ordering my radiator right now from radiator barn. I am getting the HD 3 layer radiator for $164. That includes the shipping. I heard a couple negative things about them but an overwhelming amount of positive. I figured if there was anything wrong with the radiator the lifetime warranty they offer with it would take care of it. Thanks again guys.

Cool...just out of curiosity, what negative things did you hear?

They use Fed Ex to deliver their radiators and they often damage them in shipping. I was informed that it is a real hassle to get radiator barn to ship another one. The common damage is always in the same area. The neck for the cap gets bent and the cap itself will then not seal properly. Seems to be a very common issue. Other than that, everyone has very positive things to say.

They use Fed Ex to deliver their radiators and they often damage them in shipping. I was informed that it is a real hassle to get radiator barn to ship another one. The common damage is always in the same area. The neck for the cap gets bent and the cap itself will then not seal properly. Seems to be a very common issue. Other than that, everyone has very positive things to say.

Hmmm...never had an issue with that. Between FedEx and UPS...FedEx causes the least damage from my experience. I ship out about 20-30 boxes a month with FedEx and haven't had any issues with them.

Regardless, you'll be happy with your new radiator! They ship pretty quick too!

X2 on radiatorbarn.com. I didn't have any damage on mine. It is all metal including the side tanks.

well is wish i had read this earlier.

ordered one from genesis(early last week), haven't got it yet much less heard anything from em. have heard good things about these guys, if they f up i'll be getting one from the barn

The more you guys talk about the radiator the more excited I get about it. Damn, I feel like a little kid at Christmas. The expected delivery date of my new engine and radiator is this Friday. Althought replacing the engine and radiator is going to be a PITA, I am very excited to get my Jeep back on the road and trails with all new goodies.

Back