• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shackle angle

smallxj

NAXJA Forum User
ok i am running RE 4.5 inch extrme duty springs with 1.5 teraflex shacles and they sit straight up and down and do dont flex very well at all. I was running 1.5 blocks with revolver shackles but they caused TONS of axle wrap so my question is what can i do to fix my shackle angle?

shackles are supposed to be vertical... so that when the spring compresses (flexes up) they can move back and when the spring unloads - (flex's down) they can move back to adjust for the differing lengths of springs as they get longer and shorter (with respect to the distance from the front spring mount)

is there sometihng that i dont know?

You don't need to fix it -- it isn't broken.

The shackle on a stock XJ points toward the rear because the springs are flat. Whether they flex down (compression) or up (droop), the distance between the eyes gets smaller and the shackle swings forward.

Your lift springs aren't flat, they're arched, correct? So when they compress the trailing tip is forced down and back. The shackle needs to swing toward the rear to allow that. When the springs droop, the eyes come closer together. The shackle needs to swing forward to allow that to happen. Straight up and down is exactly where they want to be. If you're not getting enough flex, I think you need to look at other factors.

Back