• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

test What is the best XJ?

if ur talking about years. I would say 97 or 98. with them u get the new body style and interior with the motor that produces more hp. its been debated many times. if you have a 97-98 you can replace the intake manifold for an extra avg 15 hp off of a 99+ xj. The newer ones are nice too. so its up to what you prefer.

bigredjeep said:
if ur talking about years. I would say 97 or 98. with them u get the new body style and interior with the motor that produces more hp. its been debated many times. if you have a 97-98 you can replace the intake manifold for an extra avg 15 hp off of a 99+ xj. The newer ones are nice too. so its up to what you prefer.
:rolleyes:

I'd have to say black ones because they strike the best balance between speed, climbing and toughness...:D

My ..02
First I'm an older guy, sooo...
I'll disagree on the 97-98 theme, respectively I must add.
The 96 is my choice, I'll explain below.
I have owned a few xj's in my lifetime.
87'2dr auto,offrd pkg D44.4L
91'4dr 5spd, sprt 4L
90'4dr auto ltd 4L
now a 96' 2dr 5spd, SE, 4L
I really liked my 87, but it got totalled.
Realistically, the 96' has the upgraded front axle and all of the "newer year" important "wheelable Upgrades" that I was looking for.
And yes the 96' engine has the lower RPM torque increase as well. In thanks partly due to OBD II, which the 96' also has. I really looked at what was best personnally for the upgrades I wanted.
Now the newer ones do have a passenger side airbag and the 96' only has the drivers side. The 96 is "suppose" to be more tolerable to smaller lifts and viberation problems encountered with the newer xj's from posts I've read too.
And parts for the older models is way more easier to find, and priced lower generally, and in the boneyard as well. So you might add the 96' too.

I love everything about my '87 cept for the dw with no lift and the bent unibody, but those are my fault. my perfect xj would be a '94 two door, white, camel tan interior, no. screw it. i like my 87. its a two door ex-government stripper with a 4.0 aw4 and the 1987 tow package! woohoo. white with camel interior, no cloth exept the headliner, all vinyl seats and rubber floors. nah nah i got a stock d44 and i didnt know what an xj was when i got the thing.

The 99 is the best.
It has a HP D30 and the latest improvements including the new intake.
In 2000 they went LP on the D30 therefore 99 is king.
It is the newest XJ with HPD30.

falcon556 said:
The 99 is the best.
It has a HP D30 and the latest improvements including the new intake.
In 2000 they went LP on the D30 therefore 99 is king.
It is the newest XJ with HPD30.
i would have to disagree, the reason they changed the intake is couse it has a more restrictive head among other things, so its not really a improvment

Fantobacon said:
what about a 94 green 2 dr with tan interior?
with 48,000 miles on it?

Sure, just not lifted, has a SBC, bushwacker cutout flares, and wide street meats.

sjan said:
99 air bags SAFETY FOR GRAND KIDS

I'm with you, the 99 has everything. It is the newest XJ you can buy with HP30,
air bags and a good head. From 2000 on they really screwed it up.
The dumbest thing they could do was to change the front axle to LP. Then they changed the ignition to rail which is nice but needed a modified head. Many of these heads are defective and crack.
I have one that my son drives and he decided he needs a more fuel efficient car.
I forgive him, he has no idea what he's got. The next son gets it and if he gets any stupid ideas, I'll get it. Right now I'm happy with my 96, but no matter what the 99 is staying with me.

I would love to see Jeep reintro the XJ , just for 1 yr in a rubicon package like the TJ.. I like the 98 model xj

OMFG....
WAY to bring up a dead post in the TEST forum from 6 months ago that was originally posted OVER a year ago.
Step away from the computer and proceed to stick a fork in an outlet.

imma honky said:
OMFG....

Step away from the computer and proceed to stick a fork in an outlet.

Yes a lap dance is so much better when the stripper is cryin'
Well I find it's quite a thrill
When she grinds me against her will
Yes a lap dance is so much better when the stripper is cryin'

Some of us are sicker than others. Some of us will go as far as to bring back an old thread about XJs on the XJ forum.
Others.............

The 99 is the best.

Back