• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear cylinder head freeze plug replacement

MJ1990buildup

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, pretty sure its leaking

just wondering if i can get to it by dropping the trans and taking off the flywheel/flexplate whatever you want to take it

dont really have the stuff to pull the engine but i already have put a new trans in and i can pull the tranny without too much problem

i'm not sure i follow you exactly, but the freeze plug on the rear of the head isn't covered by the tranny. you could pull the head to make life easier on youself since there's not a whole lot of room between the back of the head and the firewall.

There are, however, 2 or 3 freeze plugs on the back of the block which would require removal of the trans. to get to.

well, let me state my problem, coolant pouring down all over my bellhousing, no leaks on the engine after visual inspection

thats why i'm thinking freeze plug, i may be incorect when saying its on the head, it could be on the block

i'm trying to narrow down the problem so i can just dive in and get it done this weekend

so freeze plug in block?
sorry's its been a long night of working on the jeep and i have early classes tommorow

Before you pull a tranny or head, maybe you could put a mirror or something so you could be sure. Could be a headgasket (not likely). It could be something even more simple like the temp sensor that's back there.
If you do need Freeze Plugs. Use BRASS ones, you won't need to worry about them again.
Just an Idea...

Last edited:
If the freeze plug on the back of the head is leaking, you should be able to just get your hand near to it and feel if it's indeed leaking from there. If it is, just pull off the head.
If the leak is coming from the freeze plug on the back of the block (there's only one), you can either drop the trans. or pull the engine and remove the flywheel (manual)/flexplate (automatic) to get to it. I think pulling the engine might be a better idea so you can replace all seven freeze plugs (six on the block, one on the head) at the same time. Since one of them is leaking, it's only a matter of time before the others leak too.

btw, i have already replaces all the freeze plugs on the side of the block, that was my excuse for putting on a header when i had the manifold ripped off
also there is no coolant in the oil, so i'm pretty sure not head gasket
i will investigate more as to where this leak is coming from

i've never done it before but i've had both manifolds off before, how long does it usually take to remove a head once you pull the manifolds?

MJ1990buildup said:
how long does it usually take to remove a head once you pull the manifolds?

about 15 minutes ;) seriously, remove the valve cover, and there are 14 bolts total holding the head on. remove them, and lift off the head (of course, disconnect any sensor wiring-coolant temp sensor at the back, drivers side of the head- i think that's it)

Be aware that the pushrods will be loose- if you remove the pushrods for any reason, be sure to replace them in the same spot they were removed from.

MJ1990buildup said:
how long does it usually take to remove a head once you pull the manifolds?

Not long, assuming that it's the freeze plug on the back of the head that's leaking. If it's the one on the back of the block that's leaking instead, you'll have to pull the whole engine out in which case, you won't need to bother removing the head after all.

well i gave a quick glance around, and didnt really see coming from my head, dont have a mirror yet

so i'm thinkin its the one in the block

i plan on dropping the tranny and unbolting the flexplate and installing a brass plug in there, if my assumption is correct

cbremer said:
about 15 minutes ;) seriously, remove the valve cover, and there are 14 bolts total holding the head on. remove them, and lift off the head (of course, disconnect any sensor wiring-coolant temp sensor at the back, drivers side of the head- i think that's it)

Be aware that the pushrods will be loose- if you remove the pushrods for any reason, be sure to replace them in the same spot they were removed from.
you wont be able to remove the head bolt at the back on the drivers side. let it stay in the head so it will clear the firewall when removing and reinstalling the head. i use a wire to keep it lifted up enough so it wont hang up on anything.

Back